Finished my Huffy 1964 Galaxie! (finally)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I originally wanted to enter this bike in last years build off but life got in the way and I didn't finish it. After struggling with a dull finish from a spray can I decided to get it powder coated (I know...a ratrod no-no)
The Florida heat and humidity is not friendly to a glossy finish from a spray bomb and after many months of frustration I hauled it all to the powder coater.
Here are some before pics:
e5be6637393d__12596536470001.jpg

Picture001.jpg

Picture005.jpg

4e2edba025b6__12596535400001.jpg

7339b3967e2a__12596536310001.jpg

This is after:
DSCN0708.jpg

DSCN0703.jpg

DSCN0710.jpg

DSCN0714.jpg

DSCN0718.jpg

DSCN0724.jpg

The tires are 26 x1.95 duros (ebay)
I made the gingham appliques on the tank and the chainguard out of fabric which I heat coated with clear plastic and then glued on with spray adhesive. The cherries are dimensional plastic and the lettering is vinyl (made by my sister)
I sprayed the seat and grips red with duplicolor vinyl paint

RatRod Diva said:
I originally wanted to enter this bike in last years build off but life got in the way and I didn't finish it. After struggling with a dull finish from a spray can I decided to get it powder coated (I know...a ratrod no-no)
The Florida heat and humidity is not friendly to a glossy finish from a spray bomb and after many months of frustration I hauled it all to the powder coater.
Here are some before pics:

The tires are 26 x1.95 duros (ebay)
I made the gingham appliques on the tank and the chainguard out of fabric which I heat coated with clear plastic and then glued on with spray adhesive. The cherries are dimensional plastic and the lettering is vinyl (made by my sister)
I sprayed the seat and grips red with duplicolor vinyl paint
Awesome job on the build. I love everything about it. I always love working on girls bikes too bad not alot of girls around here ride.

SWEET BUILD!! WHO CARES YA GOT IT POWDER COATED?!? CAN'T LET MY LADY SEE THIS ONE!! :lol: PEACE

Thanks for all the nice feedback guys!
Jimmy fyi..the duplicolor is phenominal. It goes on beautifully and stays nice and flexible..so no cracking or peeling. I got mine in an auto supply store.

RatRod Diva said:
Thanks for all the nice feedback guys!
Jimmy fyi..the duplicolor is phenominal. It goes on beautifully and stays nice and flexible..so no cracking or peeling. I got mine in an auto supply store.

Thanks RatRod Diva.

I just checked,and my local auto parts store has one can left,in just the color I need.

There's tomorrow's project. 8)

That turned out WOW! Cruise It !

Those white tires are what's up !!!! Super nice build, that thing is so clean. Totally different bike. :wink:

Thank you everyone for your nice comments! Kind of makes you forget about the total frustration at times trying to make newer parts work on an old bike.
My next project is going to be a bicycle for my sister. I have a 1962 schwinn fiesta frame I'm going to start with. I'm not crazy about the fact it's another middleweight but I found a supplier of really nice duros that are 26 x1.95 that come in a variety of colors and give the bike a look much closer to a ballooner. My sister's bike will be pink and white and since she is a breast cancer survivor I'd thought I'd throw in a touch of that here and there. Nothing that screams breast cancer...more subtle stuff. Maybe a custom head tube badge as well.
Any ideas are appreciated!

Back