Finished Muscle Bike BMX Conversion

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked up this Roddy Seafarer (Girls') Muscle Bike. It is a model made by huffy apparently. The plan is to convert this into an early 70s style BMX bike for my daughter. It needs some work, and the pink wheel on the front actually came from a donor bike. It is unlaced and going through some paint work at the moment (as shown below). The plan is to keep things simple: retain the apes, afix a number plate for cool points, retain the banana seat, replace the wheels and tires, and refresh just about everything else. Look forward to sharing the progress...

IMG_0155_zps4ef88ae8.jpg

IMG_0157_zpsb920de77.jpg

Pedro

Re: Muscle Bike BMX Conversion

Just finished repainting the first wheel. I unlaced the spokes, primed and painted the rim, disassembled the hub, primed and painted it (it was in rough shape, then cleaned the spokes, and relaced the wheel. I have the back wheel for comparison. I am pretty happy with how it turned out...

2012-12-20175100_zps3a734761.jpg

Other wheel is finished, and I painted the frame, and cleaned the other bits and pieces up. Reassembly has started. I didnt paint the hub on the back, because It was too greasy, and I figured no paint is better than paint that won't stick. I couldn't resist putting the wheels on for quick look. The purple disco ball is temporary únless I can figure out something cool to do with it. Tires are on the way, and from there it will be new grips and a new chain. My daughter wants purple and pink numbers on the number plate, so I will have to make that happen too.

2013-01-02175738_zps7e436864.jpg

2013-01-02210701_zpsd1520662.jpg

2013-01-02210726_zpsef4b34f3.jpg

well, if the ball will fit between the bars (hard to tell from the angle), you could use an old speedometer cable off the front wheel to make it spin.

Rat Rod said:
If you'd like to see the ultimate Muscle Bike BMX conversion... :wink:

http://bmxsociety.com/topic/56026-old-s ... ntry507087

BuffardiBOTYWinner2012_zps866e595d.jpg

IMG_9686_zps879c88af.jpg

man you know where i coulld find a seatpost just like that?
post-8626-135588297013_thumb.jpg

im converting one of my stingrays into a 'Moto'rized bike and i want a low post like that.. with alill more leg room and low to the tire just like that is, would be perfect..

ivenman said:
you know where i coulld find a seatpost just like that? im converting one of my stingrays into a 'Moto'rized bike and i want a low post like that.. with alill more leg room and low to the tire just like that is, would be perfect..
Try slowriderz, he builds custom heavy duty posts, I don't know if he does them that complicated but I am sure he will find a way to help you out, prices seem pretty good too!
This is his posts for sale thread: viewtopic.php?t=59700

All the best,
Luke.

Wow. That is sick. Clearly it is a professional bike from the period. Thanks for posting that. It has enough detail in the images to fill in some blanks. The only problem is that my baseline has been raised quite a bit....

Pedro said:
The only problem is that my baseline has been raised quite a bit....
Found that problem myself with this forum! Started building a basic, big and heavy cruiser, looked at a few posts, got a few suggestions and now it is a completely different beast, much nicer, with some great ideas involved. Taking far longer and costing a fair bit more too! Much better for it though! Build thread is here if your interested:http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=65514

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Luke.

Made a number plate. I used a piece of plastic and cut the shape out. My daughter wanted pink and purple numbers- I think I did ok without making it look disconnected with that color choice- it is more mid 80s than early 70s... what the princess wants the princess shall get. I also got some tires today- I put them on the wheels and mocked the number plate up on the bike to get a sense of the look... seems to look pretty good so far.

2013-01-04174942_zps6bdb2ea6.jpg

2013-01-07193211_zps0f1e7a6f-1_zps3f61d24a.jpg

I'm starting like muscle bmx combo bikes. Thumbs up! Cant wait see final results. Thank you for gave me a bug (wanting one for myself.) :lol:

Well it's finished... Sure looks a heck of a lot better than it did when I got it. My daughter enjoyed the maiden voyage, but she found the gearing a little tough. I think I'll just leave it alone and her legs will just have to get stronger.

All in all it is not as sweet as the other one shown in this thread, but not bad.

2013-01-27161307_zpse41459bc.jpg

2013-01-27161153_zps7a86ed17.jpg

Back