"Finished" - Dragster Inpired Project- updated wheels

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A buddy gave me this Murray ladies cruiser (I seem to get a lot of ladies bikes). Generally speaking, I hate the way the ladies frames' aesthetics are broken up by the drop tube, so I figured out a cool solution with wood rather than metal. I am taking the wheels from a different project. The wheels are upsized a bit.

Starting Product:
2013-02-17174223_zpse885ce7c.jpg

Broken Down in 45 minutes:
2013-02-18083945_zpsa9b3cf7d.jpg

Solution to that awful ladies frame
2013-02-20194311_zps8264775f.jpg

General Mock-up
2013-02-21203548_zps3dfd86c9.jpg

Pick- you get the credit for my stretch technique.

Re: Dragster Inpired Project

that thing looks cool with the stretch brackets

Axe handle indeed... cut down and fishmouthed and mated with 3200psi epoxy.

I have quite a bit left to do, but I like the progress.

@ the sprung rearend- it is a thought that crossed my mind, but I think I'll keep it rigid. Since the photo, I have made stretch more more permanent... Another update to follow sometime after this weekend.

What exactly did you use to drop the rear end like that? I've been wanting to build a cruiser with that kind of stance, and have been at a loss for what to do.

absolutely love the ax handle that is one cool idea!

Troy

Omen said:
What exactly did you use to drop the rear end like that? I've been wanting to build a cruiser with that kind of stance, and have been at a loss for what to do.
they look alot like "shed hinges plates"
32766711.P6064276cr.jpg

Yes. Absolutely. Those are hinge plates. I came across them accidentally. When going to pick up some steel plate, I was walking down the hardware aisle when saw these. I picked up a couple of the 10" hinges. They come in pretty thick steel, and they are roughly the right shape already. However, I am going to double them up on the rear where I am using quite a lot of stretch and drop.

Pick did similar (nicer) ones you can see them here. They are done w/ 1/4" plate and the hinges are 1/8"
viewtopic.php?f=70&t=68311&p=660123&hilit=dragsters#p660123

nice repurpose would never have guessed thats what they were

The low stance is cool, might want to slip the cranks back in to check for ground clearance before you invest alot of time and labor.

Tim

bikejunky said:
The low stance is cool, might want to slip the cranks back in to check for ground clearance before you invest alot of time and labor.

Tim
and chain clearance :wink:

Alright- So I have been dormant here on the forum lately, but I have been working on this bike.

The frame is painted a green color with the girl's top tube painted flat black to hide it a bit. There are some engineering SNAFUs to still work out, but the bike is shaping up pretty nicely. I have a road bike tire on the front with a knobby tire on the back. This gives the font wheel the dragster look without having two different sized wheels. Plenty more to do, but I love this part of the project when it is coming back together.

2013-03-31173045_zps4af8b001.jpg

2013-03-31173117_zpse152c1e9.jpg

"Finished" Dragster Inpired Project

All,

I have been dormant for a while on this site, and my build has been on hiatus as I enjoy the warm weather outside. I have recently been struck by motivation, and have "finished" the bike... I have another build in mind and couldn't start that one with a clear conscience without finishing this one first.

Conclusion; the ridiculous caster makes the bike steer like bollocks. The brake would be more effective if it were a parachute, but the low gearing serves two purposes here... the low stance makes it tough to apply much torque to the cranks, so the gearing I chose is was a wise move. It also means that you never really develop enough speed so that you can't Fred Flintstone it to a stop.

Never the less, I had a big smile the whole time on my maiden voyage this evening. My daughter was on her ratrod, and we got some funny looks from our neighbors... a bonus :)

In the photos beneath, you will see the bike with a small front tire to give the dragster effect. It wouldn't hold the bead, so I put the matching tire to the back on it, and I prefer that look even though it is a departure from the dragster look I started off with in mind.

Link to thread with bike inspiration.
viewtopic.php?f=70&t=68311

Re: "Finished" - Dragster Inpired Project

Nice work Pedro! I guess I missed this thread while we were on holidays and with all the build-off stuff on, looks great, turned out nice! :wink:

Luke.

Re: "Finished" - Dragster Inpired Project

Here is an update- it was bothering me that the .... thing wouldn't stop properly even after a bunch of tuning on the rear brake, so I rebuilt the 26" wheels that came with the bike to use the coaster brake hub and put some fat MTB tires on. While I was at it, I was inspired by a kickstand thread, and decided to build my own. The front tire rubs on the fork, and I'm not sure if it is slack in the fork or the spokes, or both. I am going to torque the spokes a bit more and see if that helps... if all else fails, I'll buy a smaller front tire and restore the dragster look. (FYI, the kick stand will be posted on the kickstand thread too.

Kickstand Up

Kickstand Down

Back