Finally getting around to an intro

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've been checking out the builds on this forum, but I haven't gotten around to joining in on the fun yet. My only real "Rat" is a '62 Roadmaster Texas Ranger that I built up with components that I had in the attic. The patina is going to stay just the way it is.

120301187_4734b7237f_b.jpg

Here is my highest milage bike. It's a '98 Dyno Roadster that has a few thousand hard miles on it. I rode it in three consecutive MS 150 charity rides from Houston to Austin (an average of 185 miles each trip). It weighs in a 45 lbs with the necessary tools for the road. My wife, who is also my riding companion, stitched up the cool cordura bag with embroidered Dyno logo and flames. I kept the original single speed / coaster brake although it has had to be rebuilt once. I went through 4 seats before I welded up a heavy duty seat frame that would take the abuse. (Before you ask, I weigh in at 135 lbs). I ripped the cords out of 3 Dyno Super Sliks before changing to high pressure IRC gumwalls. I also moved the rear fender stays to holes that I drilled and tapped on the frame to make it easier to change the tire on the road.

75229577_0bd261cc5d_b.jpg

For the record, I averaged 15.0 MPH on the first MS 150, 14.8 MPH on the second, and after pulling a muscle in the first 50 miles, 14.6 MPH on the third. It has an overall gear ratio of 54 inches, so there was a bit of spinning involved.

I have pretty much retired that bike and do most of my riding on my homebuilt stretch, Salsa Verde. This is my first and only complete build so far, but it rides great and is a blast to cruise with the Shimano Nexus 7 speed hub. (oh the luxury...) Ignore the slack chain in the photo. I was chasing the elusive sunset photo op and pulled the rear wheel out of position.

5617447_8f217e235a_b.jpg

You can read more about the Salsa Verde build here: http://bikerodnkustom3.homestead.com/youens.html

Thanks for the cool site!

I can't imagine those averages on a bike like that. amazing. welcome to the forum.

WELCOME! Your homebuilt stretch,NICE!

Thanks for all the welcomes! LocoJoe / Randy, Abita Springs was a blast, wasn't it? I haven't been in a couple of years, but one of these days I'll make it back there. BTW, one of the events I took Salsa Verde to was the Lone Star Roundup hot rod show in Austin a few years ago. I used Salsa as my only transportation around Austin from the hotel to the show and just cruising the city. It's fun to take a cruiser on vacation.

nice bikes and I too cannot fathom riding that bike for 185 miles at 14.5 avg. nice work. Your thighs must look like Robert Newhouse's. (please tell me someone else is old enough to get the reference?)

how do you haul it on vacation? Surely a regular bike carrier cannot accomodate that length. I have difficulty with my Electra.

Skip,

I have a little 4x8 utility trailer that I built supports to hold two stretch bikes upright. If I'm only carrying Salsa, I can put it inside my wife's Mazda 3 wagon if I take off the front wheel. My next vehicle needs to be a pickup (ideally, a mid 60's Chevy), but I guess I'll have to consider a long bed for the bikes. :(

Nice rides and welcome. Are you riding the MS this year? I had contemplated doing it next year but, when I was looking around on the internet recently I came across a guy, possibly here, that rode the HH100 on a Worksman Industrial. I rode it back in 04' on a full suspension mountain bike with fat tires and thought I had done something. This guy rode it on the Worksman with the full heavy duty wheel set and everything. This is what I will be shooting for next, you and he both have inspired me. Once again welcome to the site.

Latest posts

Back