Felt VS. Electra

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hoping to get some input on Felt Cruisers vs. Electra Cruisers. They both look like they make good looking bikes but is one company better than the other? I am 6'5 if that matters.
thanks

freddy_krugerrand said:
I was hoping to get some input on Felt Cruisers vs. Electra Cruisers. They both look like they make good looking bikes but is one company better than the other? I am 6'5 if that matters.
thanks
Lets just say felt doesn't make a "Rat Fink" bike! :wink:

I've owned both and both are awesome quality bikes.

I don't think that you would be disappointed in either brand and it would mainly come down to what style you like.

The Felt Cruisers tend to be a little beefier than the Electras do, but both are really solid.

You definitely need to test ride some before you buy to make sure the fit is right and you like the ride.

I dont think one is made better than the other. I Think You will mainly get personal opinions on this subject.

Im not a tall person, Im 5'-6" and I have felt that the Felt cruiser frames are too small. From my experience of both brand bikes, I would have to say that the frames on the Electras would suit a taller person. I had an electra coaster and a rat fink. Both of those bikes felt perfect in size. When I first got onto a Felt bike, the Speedway, I always felt it too small. I had been riding a dyno roadster for the past 6 years, maybe thats reason I felt so uncomfortable riding the speedway for the first time.

It really comes down to what you like the most and feel comfortable riding. Even though I still feel that the frames on the Felts are a little small I still enjoy riding them very much.

Edit: Look at the 6th picture down so you can see what I mean about the Felt frame: http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=7044

Double Nickle said:
freddy_krugerrand said:
thanks
Lets just say felt doesn't make a "Rat Fink" bike! :wink:

That being said Electra did not make a 'Vintage Iron' series.

I agree with rydr1 the Felts do seem to run a little on the small side. It does come down to personal preference. Kind of like the old Ford v. Chevy arguement. I say ride em both and pick the one YOU like. It is , after all your money. Just ride the one you pick. :D

I have to agree with what ryder1 and Hay Burner said about the size of felt cruisers. I’m runtish and find that the Felts fit me well. I can’t imagine someone of your height ever configuring one for comfort. Go for a spin on one and see what you think. I could be wrong in my thinking. :wink:

I have two Electras ,a Vince and a Revil Raw wouldn't trade them for the world. 8)

jonas0tt0 said:
There is no VS. - there is only "and".

For example, "I have a Felt AND an Electra." Just buy one of each.

I'll second that.
I use ape hangars on my Felt aluminum frame, so it doesn't seem small. It rides really well and gets many compliments.
However, I also own an Electra Vince with long swooping bars. It has a longer than normal frame and I love it too.
The only real difference I can see is that Electra has awesome customer service and a great parts selection. It's also easy to find parts in stock in bike stores. On the other hand, Felt customer service totally blows and it isn't uncommon for their parts on their website to be out of stock for four months or longer. In addition, it is extremely hard to find Felt parts in bike stores, and for some reason, they refuse to sell Felt headbadges, period!
Electra supports their cruiser line with occasional events and lots of posts on their Facebook page while Felt never has cruiser events and all their Facebook posts are about their racing line of bikes.
<End of Rant>

There is also a variance in frame size within the Felt line up...some are larger than others.

I lined the Vintage Iron up next to the New Belgium that I had and the New Belgium was a bit longer and the BB was located just a hair further forward than the Vintage Iron.

I guess the Vintage Iron series was their aluminum frame and the New Belgiums and MPs are steel frames.

I'm 5'9" tall and the Felt steel frame bikes fit me perfectly without raising the seat much at all.

Essentially, you can't go wrong with either, but my felts do fit small.

I have 2 felts currently (1 for sale) and both fit on the small side. I like some pedal leverage so I normally ride with the seat high (I'm 6'1") and there's plenty of tube to make the felts work for me. My Hurley is steel and rides super smooth, while my Speedway is aluminum and would ride a little rougher if it's didn't have 3 inch tires.

My electra rat rod fit me awesome and I sort of regret selling it, but that was replaced with an Amsterdam that I LOVE. It's been my favorite bike ever for just riding. I also have a 2006 New Belgium Electra that fits and rides the same as the rat rod.

For me, I like the looks of the Felts more than the electra's and I feel like the Felts hold their value more (maybe cause there's less of them?), but I like the fit and ride of the electra's more. The problem is I use a bike locker at my work and the electra's are LONG and barely fit.

/my2cents

+1 Electra for tall guy. I'm 6'5" (280lb) and I never had a bike that fit me until my Rockabilly Boogie. I added apes to make it even more comfy. A normal sized human cannot ride my bike now. Which is just fine by me. 8)

rydr1 said:
Hay burner, have you done anything new with your felt?

Just need to do a couple things to get it finished. Paint the chain guard and run the front brake, I've had a few other projects that have taken most of my time. :(

I've got a couple Electras and I've ridden my dad's New Belgium Felt, but I have never been on a NIRVE?

Can anyone comment on the fit and quality of Nirve cruisers?

In terms of quality and customer service, Nirve is slightly behind Electra but still in the top 3 current cruiser companies.
They have a great line of parts to customize bikes with and are pretty popular here in SoCal.
To be honest, I prefer the woman's 'galaxy' frame bikes more than the men's, but they are all pretty cool.
Nirve uses high quality components and frames and heavily supports their cruiser line.
Their men's cruisers are the standard size, but they use unique handlebars that don't swoop back towards the rider much so they fit a wide range of riders.

Back