Felt Thick Brick?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a 1930s Hiawatha that uses 26 inch tires/wheels but I would like to put the Felt Thick Brick tires on it. They are a 24 x 3 if I get 24 inch rims would these tires and wheels work on my bike? Which rims are recommended for this (brand and rim width)? If you have pictures of the thick bricks on a 26 inch cruiser that would be nice to see. Thanks.

I've got a feeling it may be super close....mainly depends on the width of rim you choose.

You'll probably also have to use a different front fork because standard bike forks from back then are usually too narrow for the 24" x 3" tire on a wider rim.

I agree; it'll be tight and it might not even work without frame mods and/or a new fork. As with most all of these kinds of questions, the smartest move is to measure between the stays and the fork tangs before you order anything.

I know they fit inside a mid-50s Murray/JC Higgins fork.
They also fit a Worksman fork.
DSCF3324.jpg

The good thing is the sidewall profile of the Felt is more 'rounded' compared to an Electra or Kenda. Th tire curves away from the stays a little more, if that makes sense.
They fit in this Cranbrook frame, but I had to use a ball peen hammer on the chainstays near the kickstand.
DSCF3321.jpg

Thanks for the help with my question guys and for the pictures. Junkyrustybikes thanks for the offer but I am wanting some all white tires for this build. I have been wanting to use the all white ones for a while.

So I guess I should post up a picture of the bike I want to put the felt Thick Bricks onto: the rear drop outs are 4 and 3/4 inches and the seat stays and chain stays are 3 and 3/4 inches. The front forks are 3ish inches. How much space do I need/have to make to make this work and what rim width do you recommend? So the Worksman front fork works what other fork would work? I guess I could modify my existing fork but I would like some sort of springer fork. Are all forks compatible on all frames? Thanks for all the help and taking the time to answer my questions. I have worked on a bunch of bikes but this is my first one changing up rims like this so I am learning as I go.

Latest posts

Back