Felt MProvements, New Saddle Bags!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to revive such an old thread, but I just bought a used Felt MP for $250 off of Craigslist. Your bike has given me sooo many excellent ideas! Have you done anything else to the bike since your last update? Richard

Re: Felt MProvements, Wheels On!

I have had the front brake finished off for a while now. I thought I had better update this with some details on how I got it all hooked up.

IMG_0921.JPG

Front brake hub with cable connected.

IMG_0922.JPG

IMG_0923.JPG

I modified an aluminum shaft collar clamp for the brake arm clamp. The stamped steel strap that came with the Sturmey Archer hub was way to puny to fit around the od of the triple clamp fork. The above picture shows how I sawed and filed the stock Sturmey brake arm clamp down then screwed it to the collar clamp with two little black stainless cap screws. Of course, everything was painted to match.

IMG_0919.jpg

The brake cable is routed behind the lower triple clamp. It then snakes back to the front and up to the lever.

IMG_0920.JPG

I disassembled the brake lever and painted it to match. Here you can also see the stitched vintage brown grips I am using.

IMG_0924.JPG

I found a piece of leather that was a good match to the brown. I made a cover for the twist shifter and stitched it on. The bell has been painted to match too.

IMG_0925.JPG

I also took apart the twist shifter so I could paint the top cover of the housing OD green to match.

IMG_0926.JPG

One more overall pic just for the heck of it.

I think the next task to tackle is the saddle bags.

Regards,
How you dealt with that front brake arm is pure genius. The whole bike will fall apart before that clamp fails..

Love all these mods! Great work. :)

P.S. Let me know if you decide to swap out that seatpost bag; I've been searching for one to complete my own MP.

Back