Felt Heavy Duty

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I mean, except the obvious issue :D It was always squeaky and I hated it.
I will just remove the BB from that old horsey and then I can't do anything else to it until I get a new BB. Funny enough it is the bike that I never had to order parts for. I always had something on hand that fit.
I am pumped to finish that shifter today. I cut it to length and cut off the ring on the shifter side. The other shifter is done in the same way - the one ring is cut off so it lies flush with the shifter housing and the ring on the other side is just under the bearing cup:
IMG_20210902_153239.jpg

I don't have too much space for the cable to pass through so I have to choose carefully where to place the slots so when in first gear both levers to be in the same position, touching the crossbar (so it looks sick in the photos :D) :
IMG_20210902_153437.jpg

The screws are missing, but fortunately these fit:
IMG_20210902_153332.jpg

I will try to cut them, and also cut slots for a flat screwdriver in them. I will try to use nuts to hold the bolts in the vise so it doesn't damages the thread.
I have parts to make the shifter knobs close enough:
IMG_20210902_154600.jpg

P. S. Oops it looks like these are pressed in. I guess it is time to retire this frame.
IMG_20210902_161202.jpg

Last edited:
I am not even sure what this BB housing size is called, it is definitely smaller than a US BB. I watched a video where the cups were screwed in, so he unscrewed the old ones and a regular square taper bsa BB was screwed in and that was the end of it. This looks similar to 3pc crank but it is smaller, the outside diameter is 45 mm.

I am not even sure what this BB housing size is called, it is definitely smaller than a US BB. I watched a video where the cups were screwed in, so he unscrewed the old ones and a regular square taper bsa BB was screwed in and that was the end of it. This looks similar to 3pc crank but it is smaller, the outside diameter is 45 mm.
To me it looks like you need a 32mm press fit BB. Most good bike shop (not the fancy ones) have these on stock or can order them within one or two business days. As far as I remember I used one from Suntour on one of my older builds.

32 mm press fit. I don't know much about BBs except for the US BB to bsa conversions I have done on all my bikes. I never had to deal with these here, or with Octalinks, or Hollowtech 2 etc. Why don't they make square taped spindles for these? It would have been an easy swap. TRM, My LBS doesn't do stuff like that. I know which one probably will manage, but they are in the city.
Ok, thanks for the replies, guys! I will set this frameset aside for now, because the whole idea was to use the 24t sprocket to assemble quickly a daily rider, so I will just use my other diamond frame for this. Which I almost finished and it only waits for the rear wheel to be installed and the chain to be fitted.

I figured out how to do the knobs. These rubber cushions have plastic caps that are a bit loose. However when I put the cushions over the lever they expand and the cap fits tightly:
IMG_20210903_161852.jpg

I made the screws:
IMG_20210903_161840.jpg

The slot is too tight for a small screwdriver, but a knife or one of those precision screwdrivers does the trick.
And the shifters installed, connected with the levers look alike:
IMG_20210903_163601.jpg

Wow, the shifters came out great and are a big improvement to the grip shifters. Nice work!

So good. Just screams motorbike to me
Thank you so much, captain!
Man this thing is a beefy beast! Is it as heavy as it looks?
It is quite heavy despite many parts being aluminum.
Aluminum - frame, the shifter levers, the seat post and clamp, the crankset, the rims and front hub, stems and brackets, bar plugs, the pedals and the brake levers.
Steel - bars, rear hub, fork, seat, rack (+ that quill stem), the headlight, derailers.
And then some small stuff, chain, cables, tires...
25,7 kilos, probably something like 55 pounds.

Great build!!!
I like the pic you choose, but not the saturated version. The original looks better to me.

Back