FELT Frame Kits (New Project)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im starting a new project and im looking at using a Felt frame kit. Im looking at doing a "Rat Rod" design with a bent springer fork, however i have not seen any pictures of that combination. Is there a reason for that? How are these frames to work with?

CANVAS_FRAME_SMALL.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Whats up Jonas? It's Drew from cruisers.

You should toss up a pic of your chrome bike (and helmet)

Here's my Felt Hurley. Not a rat rod, but pretty slick.
TresNueves.JPG

Have you bought the kit yet? I got a felt speedway I'm thinking of selling (minus wheels).

subadrew said:
Whats up Jonas? It's Drew from cruisers.

You should toss up a pic of your chrome bike (and helmet)

Here's my Felt Hurley. Not a rat rod, but pretty slick.
TresNueves.JPG

Have you bought the kit yet? I got a felt speedway I'm thinking of selling (minus wheels).

Drew! What up, Dawg! Very nice looking Hurley! Have not purchased the kit yet, but im real close to pulling the trigger in the next day or so.
cman said:
I don't think you will find a bent springer in 1 1/8".

ChoppersUS has some 1 1/8" springer with a regular stance http://www.choppersus.com/store/category/5/30/Forks/

you could always buy reducer cups so you could use a 1" bent springer. http://www.choppersus.com/store/product ... 8-to-1%22/

thank you so much for the info - i really have no idea what im doing. This at least guides me in the right direction. Thanks again!

Rat Rod said:
Just make sure the fork that you use is a threadless model...that's what they use on these frames.
Actually many aluminum Felt cruisers use threaded headsets. Some that come to mind are the 1903, Lemans, Propaganda. Kingpin, Flying Machine, HB Surf City, Classic Man, the white 1903 style Vintage Iron cruiser and probably some others.
If the fork you like is only available in 1”, use a pair of Problem Solvers HD9901 1 1/8” to 1” reducing bushings or get a new 1” integrated headset. The integrated headset that comes with that frame is 1 1/8”. Post some pictures when you get it going.

Looked at the canvas frameset once, Felt site IIRC said it uses a semi-integrated headset. If true, reducers won't work with that(pic on page looks like a normal headset though), here's a handy spec sheet for the head tube diameter specs on the newer headsets

http://www.canecreek.com/manuals/Headset Tech Specs Rev E.pdf

Tater said:
Rat Rod said:
Just make sure the fork that you use is a threadless model...that's what they use on these frames.
Actually many aluminum Felt cruisers use threaded headsets. Some that come to mind are the 1903, Lemans, Propaganda. Kingpin, Flying Machine, HB Surf City, Classic Man, the white 1903 style Vintage Iron cruiser and probably some others.
If the fork you like is only available in 1”, use a pair of Problem Solvers HD9901 1 1/8” to 1” reducing bushings or get a new 1” integrated headset. The integrated headset that comes with that frame is 1 1/8”. Post some pictures when you get it going.

OK, i have some specs today. I took my frame and fork to a couple of good bike shops today and they did not seem to think this is going to work, however based on some of the crazy stuff i have seen on here, i know that nothing is impossible.

FRAME - 1 1/8" with a 44mm headtube Internal Diameter
FORK - 1" Threaded Bent Springer

I was told that i need a Zero Stack Internal Headset OR i need to find a 1 1/8 threadless fork - which i have not been ablel to find as a bent springer.

Knowing all of this, will the Problem Solvers mentioned above still work?

HELP! :roll:

As I mentioned in the post above integrated headset will not work with the problem solver headset reducers. The 1 1/8" threadless steerer version will work, as to whether everything fits together with the bent legs, probably but hard to say.

I thought about trying to get a 1" fork on my 1 1/8 felt speedway, but I think the reducers would be useless with the integrated stem. The bottom reducer would probably would work as long as you remain threadless. You would just stick them on your fork first, then put the original bearings on, then slide it in the headtube. The problem is the top side is much "higher" and the reducer wouldn't go down enough through the headset to make everything tight.

If you can find two 26" springers from the same manufacturer and one has a 1 1/8 threadless (and the other bent), I bet you'd be able to swap the parts out. Or maybe weld on a sleeve to a 1" (but likely not tall enough to use with the threadless stem).

Or, use a threadless 1 1/8 regular spring and bend the legs more yourself... Maybe the cheapest option and the niche factor is there.

subadrew said:
I thought about trying to get a 1" fork on my 1 1/8 felt speedway, but I think the reducers would be useless with the integrated stem. The bottom reducer would probably would work as long as you remain threadless. You would just stick them on your fork first, then put the original bearings on, then slide it in the headtube. The problem is the top side is much "higher" and the reducer wouldn't go down enough through the headset to make everything tight.

If you can find two 26" springers from the same manufacturer and one has a 1 1/8 threadless (and the other bent), I bet you'd be able to swap the parts out. Or maybe weld on a sleeve to a 1" (but likely not tall enough to use with the threadless stem).

Or, use a threadless 1 1/8 regular spring and bend the legs more yourself... Maybe the cheapest option and the niche factor is there.

I actually made a ton of progress today. I was able to find a regular springer fork with the 1 1/8 threadless post which i took off and was able to fit to the bent legs creating a custom 1 1/8 Threadless Bent Springer Fork. After being told by several bike shops that what i was trying to do was "IMPOSSIBLE" or "NEVER GOING TO WORK", Steve at Turin Bicycles was the ONLY person who was optimistic and created solutions to the problem instead of just re-reemphasizing that i had a problem. He found me a good quality headset that fits everything together perfectly. I now have 90% of the parts and will be sending the frame to Spectrum Powder Coating this weekend. This bike will be ridable in a few weeks!

Im going to start a new thread in the "Builds" forum and get some progress pictures posted soon.

Back