Felt, Electra or....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it's gonna be that time year again when 'ol Uncle Sam will be returning some loot. I am going to be buying a decent bike for the first time in 15 years. I don't have any experiences with any of the brands I'm about to mention, so...fill me in. Here some of my choices...
Felt El Guapo. Looks mean .
feltelguapo.png

Electra Straight 8...not into chopper style bikes(I like to be able to stand up and pedal.) but this one looks killer. And it's a 3 speed.
electra_straight_8_cruiser1.jpg

Micargi Rover NX3...not bad for a cheaper bike.
Rovernx3.jpg

Feedback on any of these bikes are much appreciated.
(I really dig the Felt but it seems hard to find...at least for a decent price.)

I've owned 3 Electra brand bikes and have to say that the quality is top notch.

I think you would be more than pleased with a Felt or Electra brand bike.

I have had one Felt and 2 Electra's. Both are great quality and comfortable rides. I don't prefer the "foot forward" technology as you can't stand and pedal. That is why I got rid of my Electra Townie. The Electra Ratrod or Super Deluxe might be worth lookin at too.

I own the straight 8, and although i can stand in a high gear and huff it up a steep hill, take notice to where the bottom bracket is located.
with the bottom bracket pushed forward a few inches, it does make standing less comfortable.
go to a shop that sells the bike and ride them :D ride them all!
personally, i really dig the tube front ends (mine didn't come with one, so i'll make one myself)
since i started making my own bikes with a friend of mine, i really have no desire to ride it, and the poor thing just sits....... :(

good luck with your shopping!!!

I have a Rockabilly Boogie (brother of the straight 8 ). I love it!!! I changed the bars to apes. I can stand and pedal with those bars. With the foot forward technology though, I am able to get a very good push without standing.

I believe the stickers are under the clear coat.

There are shops that carry Felt nearby. I know of a few here in cincy, if you go to the Felt website you can type in your zip code and probably find one close to dayton. The hard part is finding a shop that actually carries the cruisers :? . Good luck in your search.

Not stickers on the Rat Rod. Its printed paint. I have one and Ive been slowly getting rid of the flames...

Its an AMAZING bike though. I really like Electra.

deorman said:
http://worksmancycles.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/cruisers.html :wink:
+1
I too am a Worksman fan and have been since high school, back in the late 70s/early 80s. Growing up at the beach, everyone wanted the famous Worksman rims. Man, they're practically bulletproof! Even those loyal to Schwinns back in the day wanted a pair of Worksman rims on their Cruiser. Currently I have Worksman rims on my old Schwinn daily rider, my wife rides a Worksman, and we have a Worksman tandem. I happened to find the tandem frame in the woods while chasing an errant basketball one day. It was whole, except it was missing its rims! Someone most likely had stolen it from one of the bike rental places at the beach specifically so they could get the rims! Being industrial bikes I don't think they're as pretty as the Electras and Felts but I sure have some great memories of pedaling home on my Worksmans after many a day and night at the beach, back in the day when it was legal for an 18yr old to get a cold draft with his slice of pizza! See, we didn't drink and drive back then either. It's so much easier to get around here on bike during tourist season. Anyway, Deorman, I know you didn't mean to, but you sure brought back some great memories! Thanks!

cruisehard said:
Thanks for the links Rat and Socal. :)
Target sells Nirve now? Whoa! I like some of the bikes I've seen, but they seem sorta...I don't know....gimmicky? I can't knock it until I try it right? (I see Harborcountybike offers free shipping! nice.)

I'd go to their website for better shots, Nirve no more gimmicky than the rest I'd say, but all 3 have some really cheesy stuff. From what I've seen though Felt seems to have the better build of the 3 possibly, but it's close. Felt and Nirve the better geometry for a hilly area, pretty much identical (both descended from GT employees). Kind of lucky here, Bicycle Discovery an LBS in Pacific Beach carries all 3 so you can see and ride them side by side. Can't go wrong with the Worksmans as mentioned either.

http://www.nirve.com/default.asp

As others have mentioned, you can't beat the Electras for quality in this type of bike. My wife and I bought matching Amsterdam Balloons (w/ Fat Franks) last summer. She had NO interest in bike riding before this, and hadn't owned one in about 30+ years. Now we've already managed to put several hundred miles on them in the last few months! No problems, they still feel solid and look great.
And I don't understand the comments I keep hearing about not being able to stand-up-pedal on Electras, though. We rode all Electras from Townies to Rat Rods, and had no problem standing on any - in fact, my wife who was initially pretty wobbly just riding in a straight line, can now stand and pedal (or coast) on her Balloonie!

Back