feel and frame geometry, overthinking

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wont be surprised if this post gets no traction, its just a few questions Im trying to figure out, and thought you guys would know.
I know a Schwinn cruiser "feels" right. Ive ridden one rightnext & switching off with a Workman, and although the Workman felt ok,, the Schwinn felt more cruisey . Sorry for the made up word. Is it frame geometry that counts for this? Im guessing so, but dont know. I know my recent S. cruiser with big tubes doesnt feel as good as the one I had{sold, moron move} with small tubes. More action in the smaller tubes ?

Last, are 26 " bmx cruisers really different in geometry, and ride different ?
Im trying to catch up here. Ive been riding my stock cruiser for yrs , but never thought about much of this stuff.
If you have read this far , thanks, if you have any answers thanks even more.
Steve

There is sooooo much that goes into the feel of a bicycle.

I don't think you can pin the sensation on one or two items. It is based on every design aspect, and how those aspects interact with each other; tube diameter, material, and wall thickness, geometry (seat tube angle, head tube angle, rake, trail...), tire pressure, tread design, wall thickness, and rolling resistance, gearing, seat comfort....

heres the way the "bikees" do it..

fittin10.gif

I think the solid green is the rake

hmm I put a nanner seat and fairly high apes on my cruiser that I have had and been riding with big cush seat & stock bars. The banana and the bars made it feel so fun, I liked the feeling of peddling from behing the cranks. But sunday I rode about 3 hours, my back hurt monday , so I rode another hour or so. Last night I felt like somebosdy took a sledge to my back, I guess to much stretch for me. thats part of the origination of these many questions thanks yall

Over at Bikeforums you could literally read yourself to death on the subject. When I sell a bike, regardless of the style there's a basic routine I follow for adjusting it well to its new owner, but this often isn't what's popular, especially around here with extremely low slung seats being the norm.

The spandex crowd, of which I'm part, will debate the issue for eternity, and there is a lot of science behind proper positioning. A centimeter here and there doesn't really seem like much, but it can make the difference between being tired and uncomfortable after 50 miles, or being able to push onto 100mi.

The differences between your Worksman geometry and the Schwinn geometry probably doesn't look significant, but it's the "can't quite put a finger on it but bike 'X' rides/feels better", it comes down to that difference in ride position.

Back