Fat Tires - How Practical for Long Distance Riding?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree wholeheartedly that knobbies are only useful on surfaces like wet grass and mud. I usually run them big though, 'cause if I'm off-roading I'm more concerned about traction than speed.
What I've found with slicks though is that I like 'em big. I started with 23 mm switched to 25mm then got some 1.5x26 for my mountain bike then switched those for 2.35x26 and now I'm thinking about 3's. Obviously there will eventually be a point where they become too obtusely big to be efficient, but so far I haven't found that point.

I agree wholeheartedly that knobbies are only useful on surfaces like wet grass and mud. I usually run them big though, 'cause if I'm off-roading I'm more concerned about traction than speed.
What I've found with slicks though is that I like 'em big. I started with 23 mm switched to 25mm then got some 1.5x26 for my mountain bike then switched those for 2.35x26 and now I'm thinking about 3's. Obviously there will eventually be a point where they become too obtusely big to be efficient, but so far I haven't found that point.
With the Flames the tread width is only 2.5 and unless your rim is wide the sidewalls will never extend out from under the tread.

As you can see from this picture...
Finished%204.jpg

and this one...
Finished%202.jpg

The front one is a 24" x 3" Kenda Flame on a 24" x 1.75" wheel from a Schwinn OCC Stingray.

I had 26" x 3" flames on h.d. steel 2" rims, they measured a fat 3"s! Had to widen my springer a 1/2", and grind a little off the tread lip!
I have to say my woman loved the fat tires, but she noticed they build thunder thighs! Putting her back down to 1.5s was like seeing a kid the first time without training wheels...

Back