Fat tire/rim questions

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I am doing some research before starting my winter custom build. I have what might be a dumb question about tire/rim combo widths. How will the rim size affect the clearance that I'll need. Let's say I am running a 24X3 tire. If I mount the tire on a 2.125 rim, will I have the same overall width as say a 2.5 (65mm) or 3 (80mm) rim? My thinking is that it should only impact how much ballooning I get on the sidewall. Is that accurate? Does anyone have a 24X3 mounted on a 100mm rim they could measure?

To my opinion, a 3" tyre on a 100 mm rim does not really "balloon" outside the rim. I run a Schwalbe Fat Frank (26x2.35) on a 80 mm rim and it's not any wider than the rim. But maybe it depends a bit on what tyre you're planning to use.
What's the issue here? Chainclearence or frame-width?

I have a question, where can I get the wide rims? I've seen the Larg Marge and Surly's but I'm building a rat not a blizzard snow bike. Oh yea and I have a budget "broke". Can you guys point me in the right direction?

Back