Fat & Sassy

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Frame Build

Hey Uncle! I like this bike of yours. Especially how the the frame "hugs" a part of the wheel. Magnificent. I was wondering, what is the frame tubing? (what kind of metal?)

Also how much do you expect to have spent in the end of the project?
If you were to sell it, how much would it be?

I'm not intrested in buying or anything, I just want some sort of apprx. value of a bike of this kind of bike...
I'd love it if you answered.

Oh and, how are you planning to hold the rear wheel?

Thanks Lucas glad you like it so far.

Herku the tubing is 1 1/2'' 16 gauge.
Its according to how much I spend on parts. The actual frame is about $50 counting sanding disks, wire ,tubing ,and paint.
I don't sell them usually. I would think if you had a custom frame built it would run it the $2000 range...maybe a little less,
according to who builds it.
I will design the rear triangle in a while. Got a few things to do today. Keep watching and all your questions will be answered.

Uncle Stretch said:
Thanks Lucas glad you like it so far.

Herku the tubing is 1 1/2'' 16 gauge.
Its according to how much I spend on parts. The actual frame is about $50 counting sanding disks, wire ,tubing ,and paint.
I don't sell them usually. I would think if you had a custom frame built it would run it the $2000 range...maybe a little less,
according to who builds it.
I will design the rear triangle in a while. Got a few things to do today. Keep watching and all your questions will be answered.

Shoot, I can't sell my bikes for $400. People around here just don't seem to have the money to spend. Of course, it only occurs to me now that maybe my bikes just aren't cool enough.

Lucas, they aren't too expensive if you catch them with a 20% coupon at Harbor freight. With a
little tubing and a dream you can build a pretty good frame in no time. :D

Deven its not that. The economy is pretty tight right now. I like your builds. Part of it is you kinda
have to get established some too.

Uncle Stretch said:
Lucas, they aren't too expensive if you catch them with a 20% coupon at Harbor freight. With a
little tubing and a dream you can build a pretty good frame in no time. :D
Yeah, they're good on their prices. I love harbor freight. I buy a lot of tools from there, and that's where ill get one once I get the money :wink:

Thats funny Luke ...I mess them up too. I have cut up several that didn't look right.

Ok I kinda figured out the chain stay....Still thinking on the seat stay... I will figure it out.
DSCF0001-158.jpg

Uncle Stretch said:
Thats funny Luke ...I mess them up too. I have cut up several that didn't look right.

Ok I kinda figured out the chain stay....Still thinking on the seat stay... I will figure it out.
DSCF0001-158.jpg

Dang, wouldn't have gone that way, but I like it better than anything I thought of. It might make the seat stays even trickier, though. Hmm...

Yeah Deven, I would normally just use straight from the top and bottom, But Sensor is doing cool
curved stays. I couldn't copy his , but it made me try something a little different and I already had
the Ol jd2 drug out and bolted to my driveway. The top will take a little thinking , but I'm like a guy
in prison....nothing but time.

Yeah Big Daddy its coming in handy. :p Glad your liking it so far

Luke it has to have a top seat stay. The bottom won't be anywhere near strong enough by itself.

Yeah Peatbog it might look interesting. Gonna be different anyway.

Rich if I can get the top stays to look right then it should be a pretty neat build.

There is no way that could be made to hold like it is. Its welded into that tubing and there isn't enough
strength to make it work. The surprise comes tomorrow. If it works it will be really cool . If not then it will
be just another tube with a little bend to the top of what is there.

Thanks for the credit UncleStretch but I'm far from the first person who bent some stays. I have some ideas of where to go with yours but haven't hit on the exact combo that would look good yet. Besides, you'll probably beat me to it anyhow. Man, your taking time away from when I should be working just so I can check these for updates! Oh well, It's worth it. :mrgreen:

Back