Fat Frank

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys! Inspired upon seeing a lot of bikes built here, I decided to build my own.

Made some sketches then I had some tubes bent and went to a local welder.
3063084678_bdae6e68a7.jpg

3062246419_935f0d7c1c.jpg

3063085552_c3976c1e20.jpg

3062247533_935248a615.jpg

So after a few flat black spray cans, here it is.
3062246937_5438e314d9_b.jpg

3062247031_1821290718.jpg

Can't possibly have a rigida rim for my rear, you will not find it here in the Philippines! So we just thought
of having 3 rims welded together. 3 interior tubes, 1 exterior. I hope the Summit 26x2.30 tires would hold up!

I plan to have a nice paint job for it... I like the theme of this Felt taxi bike. What do you guys think?
3204190299_0818036b57.jpg

Hmm.. was thinking I could have the checkered flag on the rear rim? Also a stick shift. Will post it once it done

SWEET STRECHHH! i like the complete flat black. the felt taxi pick didnt show soo...dang. looks awsome man. good job! i stopped in manila for a bit. i lived in pattaya, thailand for about three months doin tattoos. those street pic make me miss south east asia =(

bits n pieces said:
very ratty! fat frank is phat! that is a awesome looking frame.how did you measure it out and bend the tubes?

made some preliminary drawings with adobe illustrator, printed it then we scaled it and drew a life-size sketch of the frame. Here in our town there are
some shops that has steel tube bending machines. So me and my buds just brought it the tubes and the sketch to the bending shop and had the tubes
bent like the actual sketch.

ohchusan said:
.... love that all-flatt vibe.

did you get your inspiration from firebikes?
btw, was it difficult to weld 3 rims and not loose alignment?

yeah, a lot of inspiration from firebikes and the GT Roadster. Kind of mixed the design. It isn't finished yet, the flat black you see has no primary coating beneath hehe.
There was a bike show in our town and we just had one heck of a night trying to finish the welds and made it as an entry for the show. Placed 1st Runner-up overall (bec. of the poor paintjob)
I'm really digging the Taxi theme I saw from Felt. Will just make some tweaks with the design so as not to imitate it too well. The yellow orange just blows you away right?

As for the 3 rims, was not that difficult to weld. Just spot-weld it strategically, alternate spots on one side then on the opposite side so on and so forth..
The problem is the tires that I used are only 26 x 2.30... the 3.0 tires are not available here in our country. So I'm still waiting for someone to maybe purchase it abroad then will bring it here.
No rigidas, no 3.0 tires. So we just improvised. I think it's a first here in the country, because a lot of bicycle hobbyists here builds lowriders and restores japanese bikes.
So I'm praying for a little luck right now :roll:

flea888 said:
ohchusan said:
.... love that all-flatt vibe.

d
The problem is the tires that I used are only 26 x 2.30... the 3.0 tires are not available here in our country. So I'm still waiting for someone to maybe purchase it abroad then will bring it here.

So I'm praying for a little luck right now :roll:

I think you should stick with the 2.30...it really makes it interresting and unique looking.

Finally! RATBIKES is alive here!!!! KOOL build,Bro kaw ba si Xrstian? Heard about you fr mang jay, I have also been doing some ratbikes few years ago. sana dumami pa mga ratrodbiker sa Pinas!

Hey bro! Yeah, i'm Christian. philippines HAS to be represented here of course! RATatatatat! Can you post some of your works if you have pics? Where you from?

I've updated the frame, made some more mods..

We lowered the frame down
3318069630_c2753d48f0_o.jpg

3318069746_93abbb24d5.jpg

- replaced chain ring
- replaced the rear hub with a Sachs Spectro 5-speed coaster hub and drilled additional holes to make it a 72-spoked rear wheel set (it was previously a Sachs Torpedo
3-speed coaster hub, but we thought of making the rear wheel set have 72spokes and we couldn't drill new holes on the hub so we replaced it)
- added new suicide shifter (no pics yet)
- bought some new tires (Specialized Rhythm 26 x 2.35)
- new torpedo handle grips
- new block pedals
- new felt black classic saddle with yellow piping
- new headpost (found a bmx headpost that has more muscle)
- bought second hand 3pc. Haro cranks
- made a new side stand (i know it will add weight but it's hard when you don't have a stand, and I don't want to stand it using the left pedal because it will surely damage it)
- lastly welded 3 aluminum rims for a new set of rear rims (to lighten the rear a bit.)
3317236821_c4b19e098a_o.jpg

Just went to the shop yesterday and brought in the parts for the paint job. Corn yellow for the frame, and the rest would be black. I'm really diggin' the taxi theme so i'm going for it :mrgreen:
Tomorrow I'll be off going to bring the other parts for powder coating. Time frame would be 1-2 weeks. Wish me luck people.

Do you guys think that the rear rim should be covered with checkered flag? The rear rim is 3rims welded into 1, the spokes only occupies the 2 rims and we had the holes of the outer rim covered.
So i was thinking what would be best, placing the checkered flag only on the outer rim or I should cover the whole 3 rims with the checkered flag (which I know was done by allridestyle already).
I have a couple of days to think about this and was hoping you guys can help me out. :roll:

I say cover all 3 rims with the checkered flag. Either way will be cool. I think the taxi theme will look great. Can't wait to see it finished.

wow! great work! :mrgreen:

i could stare at that rear rim for hours.......................... :shock:

i really dig the new changes too.

thanks everyone. just went to the painter, and fortunately there has been some development. maybe another 3days more and it's good to go. man, can't wait! :mrgreen:

Back