Farmall build idea

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yoothgeye said:
Cool trike, most of them I see have the same rear end setup, the first hub is 3 speed with coaster brake and it runs the solid rear axle, much better setup than the trike parts I have which the crank runs a freewheel on the axle that is only attached to one rear wheel and my only brake is a front rim brake. Ugh.
I dont know if this is unique, but the rear axle actually isnt solid, the two wheels spin seperately, but are both driven by the pedals. thats common isnt it?

Craiggo said:
yoothgeye said:
Cool trike, most of them I see have the same rear end setup, the first hub is 3 speed with coaster brake and it runs the solid rear axle, much better setup than the trike parts I have which the crank runs a freewheel on the axle that is only attached to one rear wheel and my only brake is a front rim brake. Ugh.
I dont know if this is unique, but the rear axle actually isnt solid, the two wheels spin seperately, but are both driven by the pedals. thats common isnt it?

So it has an actual differential in it... cool!

SCORE!!! I'd like to do a trike someday but it'll have to wait. I did get lucky on getting some tractor lights though. Bought a box w/ 3 4"-5" metal housed headlights/worklights and a few older style red marker lights for $8.

I figure it would be cheaper to just have a gender change on the current schwinn frame and not pay for a $50 straitbar +shipping, right? I would need some help with that but it could be arranged. I really have no clue on how to rebuild those axles. I have vaguely looked at it and I failed to find any way to disassemble it. Would there be a repair manual for them? I havent found any over the internet or anything.
Craig :D

Just a few rough sketches here. Not ALL of the ideas are incorporated yet. They are in my head, just not figured out yet
f05b064e.jpg

59e27583.jpg

Chips_Mahoy said:
That is freaky funny!! I was thinking something along those lines for the one I'll be doing! :shock:
Maybe it would just be easier to rent a shed somewhere between Wisconsin and Indiana and work on the same bike! Hahaha we could have a non competitive build-off next summer :eek: SOOOOOOO many bikes SOOOOOO little TIME!

Craiggo said:
Chips_Mahoy said:
That is freaky funny!! I was thinking something along those lines for the one I'll be doing! :shock:
Maybe it would just be easier to rent a shed somewhere between Wisconsin and Indiana and work on the same bike! Hahaha we could have a non competitive build-off next summer :eek: SOOOOOOO many bikes SOOOOOO little TIME!

I'm up for that! Somewhere in Chicago maybe? But only if there's sponsors & such otherwise I'm going to go broke and unemployed.... :wink:

Here is another brainstorming sketch :mrgreen:
f1b88566.jpg

Click on it to see the full picture. Thanks :) Craig

iv restored 4 of um n got the filler piece on the grill hangin on wall maybe that might help some ? it will be kool to have some real parts on it just a thought :?: :idea:

I think the second design but with two front tires and some big knobby tires in the back. U would also need a tractor style seat setup. I think a now working motor would be cool too.

I think the big difference between yours & my ideers is you are going off the early McCormick Farmalls and I'm going for the later Farmall look like on an 806/1406 etc. So mine will me two-toned with squared fenders instead of all red with round fenders. Either way they're both going to be cool!!

Chips_Mahoy said:
I think the big difference between yours & my ideers is you are going off the early McCormick Farmalls and I'm going for the later Farmall look like on an 806/1406 etc. So mine will me two-toned with squared fenders instead of all red with round fenders. Either way they're both going to be cool!!

That also sounds really great! We have a 1206 we bought at my grandmas auction. My grandpa made a 1206 and a 706 in the size of a cub cadet lawn mower. Grandpa Mike's next project was going to be a full size 706 to match the mini, until cancer caught up to him.
He restored around 100 tractors in his lifetime and my dad owns about 14 of them. My dad has another comin his way :wink:
I hate bragging, but my grandpa is still very well know in our area for all he has done. I'm really glad I got to know him even as well as I did. I am also glad I inherited a couple of his tools(half red due to hanging on the wall when he painted :) )

Craiggo said:
Chips_Mahoy said:

That also sounds really great! We have a 1206 we bought at my grandmas auction. My grandpa made a 1206 and a 706 in the size of a cub cadet lawn mower. Grandpa Mike's next project was going to be a full size 706 to match the mini, until cancer caught up to him.
He restored around 100 tractors in his lifetime and my dad owns about 14 of them. My dad has another comin his way :wink:
I hate bragging, but my grandpa is still very well know in our area for all he has done. I'm really glad I got to know him even as well as I did. I am also glad I inherited a couple of his tools(half red due to hanging on the wall when he painted :) )

Sounds like a blast, I still remember when I was a kid I'd spend weekends on a friend's farm in Windfall, In and the first thing I ever got to drive was an old International Super M tractor with the two skinny wheels in front, I think I was 8 or 9 at the time. I'm following this build for sure.

Back