Fairly odd Lady

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thought I'd give it a shot! Starting with this Fair Lady frame, I got off another member here, was going to build it, but went with another frame. So since I have it, it will get a new life!
fairladyyellow.jpg

Ok, here's a "progress" pic. Looking better, I like it. The seat being so low as it was, was hard to ride or even sit on without raising the front wheel, and I had even set it further back, looked real good, but even worse.. Got many more ideas I'm working on, but here's so far.. At least I'm having fun!
@DonQui, yes it is a 16" rear with a 26" front..
@Dr.Tankenstein, yes! C'mon, those sweeping downtube curves are awesome!
IMG_20110517_204930.jpg

Rotton said:
Ok, here's a "progress" pic. Looking better, I like it. The seat being so low as it was, was hard to ride or even sit on without raising the front wheel, and I had even set it further back, looked real good, but even worse.. Got many more ideas I'm working on, but here's so far.. At least I'm having fun!
@DonQui, yes it is a 16" rear with a 26" front..
@Dr.Tankenstein, yes! C'mon, those sweeping downtube curves are awesome!

You could reduce to wheelie tendency by "untorqueing" the drivetrain. IOW put a bigger sprocket on the front, an exercycle sprocket would be awesome. 8) Plus it will eliminate that kiddy bike speed pedaling you're probably experiencing!

Since then I have done a few things..
Added a panel here, might add more to it..
RR5.jpg

RR6.jpg

Finished the front edge, added front "clamps".. The top brass piece is a tub stopper insert I found, and just happen to have found a nut that fit the threads, since that should thread into the drain itself.. and used copper "plumbers tape" (the metal strapping to hold stuff, in copper faced,) cut and grinded down, for the clamps..
RR1.jpg

Maybe do another fill here..
RR2.jpg

Made wood grips, cut about 2 1/2" off the bars, drilled out 2 ends of a dowel, cut it down, then belt sanded them.. not finished yet!
RR7.jpg

RR3.jpg

RR4.jpg

I do have an old exercise Schwinn, thought about putting that giant sprocket on there, but think it might overwhelm it! Would that really help in the " unwanted wheelie syndrome"? Maybe once you get going.. When I had the seat farther back, I couldn't even really sit on it without raising the front end, regardless of trying to pedal it! Maybe I'll give it a try. But I don't wan't the focus to be on the huge sprocket!
And it does seem a bit "bigwheel-ish", but I started it to resemble somewhat a high wheel, trying to keep that large front-small rear look, but keep it a "modern" bike.. I did think about full on "big wheel" 3 wheel, but that's not really what I wanted! I'm sure, as many builders find, things progress as you move along, so the end result might be far from the original plan!

This a great build, I wanted to make wood grips, hope you don't mind if still do! :wink: I also like how you used the plumbers tape. This should be snazzy when completed!

Oh man! The deadline is coming up quick! I've been so busy with "real life", I haven't been giving the love towards the bike, got too many ideas, and only so much time!

Rotton said:
Oh man! The deadline is coming up quick! I've been so busy with "real life", I haven't been giving the love towards the bike, got too many ideas, and only so much time!

Rat building is "real life", isn't it???????

Back