'Ey up...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi from the frozen north of England...
I've just about finished re building a beach cruiser that I got from my brother. Haven't fiddled with bikes in a long time so I'm really enjoying some of the amazing machines on here. I'm trying to get to grips with a set of springer forks that I bought. Got 'em on, and the bike rides nicely but they seem to go a bit 'waffy' after a mile or so as though they are loosening at the pivot (sorry not sure of the correct name) and need nipping up again... I'm not sure if they go 'knaked' if they are over tightened so proceeding with caution...I'm not keen on the taste of kerbstone :? any reccomendations.
Cheers
I'll post some pics of the bike if anyone is interested

welcome from nor-cal :) the more pictures here the better ,i say !

I assume you're talking Schwinn style. You may need a lock-nut or some thread locking compound on the pivot bolt/nut. :wink: Unless your springer is so cheap the pivot's drilling holes through the legs. :lol: The spring should be tight enough so the legs don't move from just sitting on the bike. In my case, that's just enough screw sticking out to bottom a cool looking acorn nut. 8)

welcome from the south (of england)
try some thread locking compound inside the acorn nut (i am assuming this is the style you have) such as "lok tite" or equivelant. this is what my kustom kruiser had from factory, and it is ok ish.

Thanks for the welcome
This is the bike at the moment. It was a Realm? cheapie beach cruiser. The headlamp is a fog light from a 60's car of some sort bought at an autojumble for £3 tail lamp was off one of my other bikes, they're both LED powered from tiny pocket torches and seem to work well at night. I'm going for the vintage hotrod vibe which i like so pretty much as you see it is how it'll stay... probably :lol: I sandblasted the frame, new tyres, modified the seat so it sits further back and added the springer forks... which are proving troublesome... They won't stay tight (the pivot) but seem to have been assembled badly as they are out of true. The wheel, when centred in the forks is waaaay off line from the rear wheel... The pivot seems down on one side which seems to be the problem and the geometry of the steertube bracket and spring cup are out... they aren't paralell... and won't line up. Are this type of fork troublesome or am i just unlucky with these ones?
anyhoo...pics...
3.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

Try turning the head tube around. (Front to back) I have one that is way out of whack if the pivot is one way, nearly perfect alignment the other. :roll: You might try switching the forward struts instead/as well.

:D Welcome BODGE DEEP! Your bike looks great! Sorted the forks yet? I'm also from the North Of England but guessing a bit further up than you, more of an ''Aaalreet'' than an ''Ey Up'' :)
Boris in Durham.

Thanks for the welcome chaps
The forks are ... I think... sorted. I spun the pivot round and that seemed to do the trick (many thanks deorman)
Hey Boris... i'm more 'across' than 'down'... Lake District... well Kendal to be precise...
The headlamp is LED fitted now and works well. I liked the yellow lense ... it sort of fitted the colour scheme and it was cheap :D
I'm hoping to find a coaster hub (or complete wheel ideally) to put in the back and then ditch the caliper brake for more of a stripped down look.

Bodge Deep said:
The forks are ... I think... sorted. I spun the pivot round and that seemed to do the trick (many thanks deorman)
Hey Boris... i'm more 'across' than 'down'... Lake District... well Kendal to be precise...
The headlamp is LED fitted now and works well. I liked the yellow lense ... it sort of fitted the colour scheme and it was cheap :D
I'm hoping to find a coaster hub (or complete wheel ideally) to put in the back and then ditch the caliper brake for more of a stripped down look.
Hey Bodge Deep! Kendal! Not that far from me really! With your user name I reckon your into either......old Vw's, Old brit Cars or Hotrods....or you work in a bodyshop like me :D
The lamp looks cool with yellow lense and imagine it looks good with LED....also we like cheap 8) . Both mine have coaster brakes but they are hard to find in England [and illegal :shock: :D ] but they do pop up on english ebay once or twice every ten year or so :? and only go for about £50 a wheel :( ! Keep us posted how you get on!!!
BORIS

Boris said:
Bodge Deep said:
Hey Bodge Deep! Kendal! Not that far from me really! With your user name I reckon your into either......old Vw's, Old brit Cars or Hotrods....or you work in a bodyshop like me :D
The lamp looks cool with yellow lense and imagine it looks good with LED....also we like cheap 8) . Both mine have coaster brakes but they are hard to find in England [and illegal :shock: :D ] but they do pop up on english ebay once or twice every ten year or so :? and only go for about £50 a wheel :( ! Keep us posted how you get on!!!
BORIS

Hi Boris
I'm into al of the above but my main interest (apart from the wonderful bikes here) is military vehicles...
I've got a WWII Dodge Weapons Carrier or "Beep" ... Dodge Beep = Bodge Deep... that kind of thing... :mrgreen:
I'm taking the truck (and almost certainly the bike) to Croft Circuit Nostalgia weekend 7th & 8th August which is pretty close to you... pop over and say hi 'n' have a brew! should be a good event :D

are coasters illegal? im in the poo if they are! however i saw a brand new schwinn in the local bike shop today and that was coaster equipped. not sold subject to being "collectors edition only" either. mind you all the coaster bikes i have have a caliper on the front- but as you probably know they are really efficient!

as to finding one, look out for a continental folder or "shopper" type bike. quite a few of them have Sachs "komet" hubs, just make sure they are 36 hole.

marcusthemoose said:
as to finding one, look out for a continental folder or "shopper" type bike. quite a few of them have Sachs "komet" hubs, just make sure they are 36 hole.

:) Cheers Marcus for that! Will keep me eyes peeled! Not a hundred percent sure about the law and coasters in GB its just what I was told.

The Croft Circuit Nostalgia weekend sounds interesting is it the first one [never heard about it till now!] and is there camping? I'm about 10 miles from Croft so as long as it dosnt clash with anything we will be there!
Boris

marcusthemoose said:

Just ran a search on GB EBAY and guess what low and behold there is a Sachs on http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SACHS-3-SPEED-TOR ... 518fe70530 :shock: Its NOS AND its a three speed!! 8)
BORIS.

glad to be a help. that would be good on an old diamond frame instead of a sturmey, as it is 1 3/8". i saw that one a while back, and decided to build my own and it cost £2. i had a 1 3/8" rim in the garage and a choice of hubs (makes you sick ey :lol: ) and decided on a secondhand ss Komet than my shimano. going to beaulei autojumble in a few weeks, often a few turn up there, so might stock up again!

no, in all honesty you cannot buy a bad komet, they seem to last for ever! better than shimano.
happy building

Just like to say that thanks to this site I've met some really cool people. And as of last night I've joined the Cruizados Club (albeit as a prospect UK Nomad member at the moment)... I'm probably more excited than a father of 2 and supposed 'grown up' should be :mrgreen:
Thanks RRB :wink:

Back