explain this to me how now :D - Tall bike to chopper

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd guess the rear suspension pivots and has some sort of hydraulic ram or electric actuator to control the up and down positions. Looks like the fork stays the same just angles differently. Pretty cool though.

I wonder if the cylinder is like those on an office chair. Open the valve and it compresses to chopper mode. I'll bet the pedaling motion gives "lift" to the whole assembly so when the valve is opening while pedaling, the cylinder has no compression and expands back out. Like when you stand up and raise an office chair with no weight. That's my theory at least...

Either that or magic is involved, I'm not sure. :D

After seeing the original thread (linked a few posts earlier) I really got to thinking, so I went and grabbed an office chair a neighbor was throwing away. I will measure the travel on the piston and see what I can do, if not like the video, I'd at least like to make a chopper that I can drop and throw sparks.

yoothgeye said:
After seeing the original thread (linked a few posts earlier) I really got to thinking, so I went and grabbed an office chair a neighbor was throwing away. I will measure the travel on the piston and see what I can do, if not like the video, I'd at least like to make a chopper that I can drop and throw sparks.
That'd be sweet.

thanks guys, ill be sure to check out the other thread. I love that transformation from tall bike to chopper. Would be the envy at the locale critical mass :D

i don't know if it would be long or strong enough (truthfully, i'm pretty sure it's not), but maybe a piston from one of those huffy compressors

tubthumper001.jpg

tubthumper002.jpg

i never looked at the piston that much (i got it and used the swingarm on another project), but if the piston control could be used on a stonger piston, assuming this one isn't strong enough, that could take care of the control part.

never been into tall bikes at all, but i'd build something like that if i could. might have to put it near the bottom of the "i want to try that" list.

Latest posts

Back