Evoeric's first build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So got backbfrom the end of my boats deployment and had a new schwinn frame sitting waiting super excited to start this build :D will be starting by stripping the paint and making it a solid color while I wait and find the rest of the items required :D

9e79f21b.jpg

EvoEric

If you are just going to paint it you don't have to strip the paint unless there is some rust issues. Just scuff it up with some sand paper and paint. Will save you some time for sure.

Is that one of the Phantom repops? Paint looks great, but it might not be your color, understandable. Maybe consider selling it (due to it's condition) and pick up another B6 frame that may not be as 'pristine' and put the extra $$$ toward the build.

Just my .02.

Either way, can't wait to see what you do with it.

Cheers,
Dr. T

Hey thanks for the tips and ideas the paint is nice and I am leaning towards keeping it cause it is my favorite color and all however since it only came as a frame getting the fork to match won't be to easy. But on to the news I found a fair deal on craigslist and got two donor bikes to make this as well as one for the wife. I set it up as a mock up today and it looks nice the only problem I have ran into is the housing for the crankset on the donor is threaded and the housing on my bike is not threaded. How difficult is this to overcome? Or am I sol and have to find a different crankset to fit my housing? Sorry if my lingo isn't right on what I am talking about I will upload photos of my question later if I need to clarify further. On to the photo of the mockup

25899040.jpg

EvoEric

Ah ok that makes since the donor is a motobece ez Cruz. I don't want to but I might have to pull the nicer kiwi apart and build the moto for my wife to save myself from having to buy a conversion. I never would have thought that something like that wouldn't be universal. That is what I get for thinking though huh? Ha
EvoEric

Totally figured this out!! Got the bottom bracket figured out and some extra cash to fill in the parts that I want to fix first.

EvoEric

Decided to not keep it the original paint job and go with satin black. I know it's normal but for my first build I figured the KISS method is the best method. I am still waiting for some wheels, tires, and a new chain as well as a couple cans of clear coat but after that it will be close to a finish.
fdb2fafb.jpg

Sorry for the bad photo only had the phone charged.
EvoEric

So I got a big old box in the mail today and got the new rims, tires, chain, and headset. I did a sort of final mock up it is looking sweet I have some kinks to work thru first though I will post when I figure out the problems so I can get some assistance from the great minds out there. :)
9cd5c991.jpg

Eric

Cool! Deff different withe the green and diff is always good! I thing the black schwinn springer forks would look awesome on it, They've got em on eBay

Ya I plan on getting a set of black springers and the nirve street sweepers early next month. Then it is a few other small things I want to fix but I love it so far. It's smooth as can be, smoother than the donors were even.
9f20f31c.jpg

Wife snapped me while I was out doing the first shakedown run ha :)

Eric

nice bike but I think your sproket and chain and rear wheel are on the left side. now how did you get a freewheel to drive on that side? hmmmm.

Outlaw 8)

I had it on the correct side and all I could do is go on brakes..... So easy way to fix it is to flip it around haha. The sprocket on the wheel could not cause this. I have no real idea why haha. The problem with being such a noob haha.
Eric

Back