european vs. US market bicycles / differences?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may be wrong... but it seems like I read somewhere that bikes sold in the European markets were required to have a brake on both wheels? Is this correct?

I just bought a bike that I really don't know much about... and like usual I got online to see what I can find. I found bikes similar to mine... but not identical. Then I remembered the guy I had bought it from had mentioned riding it when he lived in Italy. All the bikes similar to mine I was finding images of didn't have a front brake like mine does... and the brake lever is also mounted by the right grip (another supposedly european indicator vs us market generally mounts on the left).

Anywho... I dig the bike and feel like i brought it home for a a good price. I was just curious as to if it might have been built for a market outside the us. It's a Felt, Hot Wheels edition. The front brake is a roller brake. Also, it seems all the pictures I've seen online show the tires with "Hot Wheels" in red but mine is in white. From what I can tell it's a 2007 (or 2006) edition.

Thanks!

I tried to get my Specialized dealer to order me a Euro-Spec 16" Hotrock for my little boy because they come equipped with a front break and the US one's don't....they couldn't do it though.

In the Netherlands you can buy bikes with only a brakecoaster hub and no front brake but i believe in Germany a front brake is required (not for sure though).

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-S7710 met Tapatalk

Interesting. I didn't pay extra for it or anything like that due to it having front brakes... I was just curious as to why I couldn't find any pictures of other bikes like this that have a front brake.

I've been cleaning it up... I'll get some better pictures up once I get it looking a lil better.

I have purchased several Baron 2s in the U.S. That came with front drum brakes. The pictures below are of a set of 24" wheels that I have now.

- by Gigmata
dd8d5b5456b44edcb220a1b7cf37d106.jpg

11fe105b7f4e2eecfc722cc21cf337c6.jpg

37097145b98576426caec78df28dec6a.jpg

68a97c1f1239ff87cf2f402ec0e0d51d.jpg

Last edited:
My 2015 Baron has drum front and coaster rear brake but my uk supplier gets them from Germany.

Back