Esso Tiger Head grips...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I finally found the Holy Grail that I've been looking for forever.

They came on a '65 20" Schwinn Typhoonie that I pounced on,on Craigslist.

For the price I paid,either the bike or the grips were free.

With the patience of a Saint I'll remove those Tiger Head grips and inshrine them in glass.

The search is over.

i found a way to remove grips that works real nice.

drill a bar sized hole in a small piece of plywood. (approx 2" strip) make 2 cuts to open up the hole on one side, (so it will slip over your bars.)

now simply tap the wood with a hammer. they'll be alittle resistance at first, but eventually they will slide right off.
i've used this method to remove many old/new sets of grips without damage.

hth
those are sweet grips and a sweet bike. :)

i'd say ya got both the bike and grips for free. (paying a small finders fee to the previous owner. :) :p :) )

Thanks Guys.

icy,Thanks for the tip.I've heard of your idea except using a 7/8" open end wrench.

Got my curiosity goin', don't remember those grips, and the picture has been deleted from Craigslist, show us some pic's please.

My grip "holy grail" is Troll grips, anyone ever see those??? hilarious

tomb,there was sombody on the 'bay selling a set of Troll Grips for a long time...looking for 60 clams or something near that.

So with the patience of a Saint,and a hair dryer I was able to soften up the grips and slide them off with no brutal tactics involved.

Im no detective but it looks like those grips were put on not long after this Typhoonie was new back in 1965.

Back