Ernie & Dolly his and her's dumpster builds.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few months ago, my wife came home with a stray Murray bike that was a piece-meal collection of parts and said "lets start riding bikes together... it will be good for us." I quickly parked the bike on the side of the house and said "sure... I'll get a bike too and fix them up for us to ride". Well finally a month ago someone in the alley was throwing away a perfectly good(ish) Huffy so all of a sudden I was out of excuses. Both bikes were/are a total mis-mash of parts. With torn seats, flat tires and just the right amount of rusty chrome, theres no such thing as a free bike.

Step 1 Strip the frames... I started "Airplane Remover" it worked as advertised as there are now no airplanes in my backyard. But there was still a lot of paint left on the frames after 3 applications.
f40a0e68294a1f5b31b03db08bcda5ab.jpg

The Murray had factory paint the Huffy had 3-4 colors on top of the factory metallic red. to get down to the base metal I had to finish stripping both with a wire wheel.
78395ec71bbdd70f6a29293288a127b3.jpg

My favorite road trip food is beef jerky. Read my reviews and tell me about your favorites on my blog at JerkyAficionado.com -- Stephen

Step 2 Rattle Bomb Primer and Paint
The color scheme for the Mrs bike was Valspar Nautical Satin and Valspar White Satin. For Mr Rustoleum Frame and Chasis Black. I started with a couple of coats of Rustoleum self-etching primer and finished both with color.

1bcbcb86286cdb50bc151a32a0928c46.jpg

DIY Pallet Spray Booth

1e587b273a43e553882d985903356a66.jpg

DIY Ladder Drying Rack

My favorite road trip food is beef jerky. Read my reviews and tell me about your favorites on my blog at JerkyAficionado.com -- Stephen

Step 3 - Paint everything else that was rusty...
We did a quick and dirty clean-up of the rims, sprockets and cranks. The Murray's rims were steel and lightly pitted. The Huffy has some narrow rims from some sort of road bike are are aluminum with stainless spokes! Steel wool on the rims, wire wheel on the rusted chrome, cleaning, tape everything off and primer and paint. I dont expect much from these parts cosmetically... I'm looking forward to them regaining their patina.
3f287cdeef966d6723b340fc74809356.jpg

Step 4 - Ebay, Swap Meet, Bike Shop
This is where it becomes really clear that it cheaper to buy a bike at Wal/K... For the Mr. Black and Tan so I bought a Velo 'vintage' seat and matching grips, for the Mrs her seat was still pretty nice so we just got new grips that amazingly matched the paint perfectly. The Mr. also got new non-name 12" mini apes.

Then the fun started... while looking for practical parts I found a vintage Monark front-end for $60. Who could resist... right? I also bought a couple used rear racks on the Bay. The Huffy was missing peddles and a chain guard so I bought a set of Non-vintage Schwinn Approved peddles for $15 and a non-vintage Schwinn chain guard for $2 at the local swap meet. The final touch was a vintage Coke crate mounted to the rear rack.
842672dc54ff8b352059185da42b9ee4.jpg

The Mrs found a tool bag and bell from Target and got some new tires from Wal and both bikes got vintage looking headlamps from the Bay and her finishing touch was a cool mini-surfboard for the rear rack.
d699ae7117b64b4e7c9e312971ebfe34.jpg

There's more to do... but that's the progress so far.

Very nice transformations , good work !
and thanx for the info on the Valspar '
ill have too check out our local Lowes
and see if they carry that product .
Oh and Welcome too the Forum..
Ride On !

~Rafael~

I finished my tool barrel and tank plate. I left the straps natural so they will age on their own. Tried to die the body of the barrel to be a similar color to the seat/grips.
f59dc10976c5b56c537724b5510a7440.jpg

95eba7a4805acb0b72b7db60c768cfac.jpg

For the Monark front end guys... take a look at the side shot thats a ladies front end with the longer fork tube. To get it mounted I used a 1" spacer below the lower bearing race. So... that "fix" caused the front end to be an inch lower than stock. Then when I put my svelte (not) self on the bike I noticed that on the first good bump this would cause the tire to "bottom" out on the fork. So the "fix" was to load up the springs with a 1" spacer on the bottom. This causes the springs to lock (fully compress) before the tire hits the fork. While this was a nice solution so I could admire my work and take it for a test ride, it wasn't a good solution. I'm a little concerned all the preload on the front end will cause me to bend/break other parts... so I took it apart and will drop it off at the local bike shop to have the neck cut and rethreaded.

Yes... I figured the dental bills or neurologist would be more expensive than fixing the forks correctly. Hopefully soon!

Got everything back together and took the bikes on a little cruise for Sunday brunch. The springer is riding great now...
1d81780205f42e109574139f9f19c2cb.jpg
Since more useless accessories are fun... the flag pole and stern lamp are an old boat part. I mounted a wrench on the seat tube and I Finished off my tool bag with sterling silver pilots wings that came from a thrift store.
3ef84efea72b0534a7584752301b6965.jpg

A few months ago, my wife came home with a stray Murray bike that was a piece-meal collection of parts and said "lets start riding bikes together... it will be good for us." I quickly parked the bike on the side of the house and said "sure... I'll get a bike too and fix them up for us to ride". Well finally a month ago someone in the alley was throwing away a perfectly good(ish) Huffy so all of a sudden I was out of excuses. Both bikes were/are a total mis-mash of parts. With torn seats, flat tires and just the right amount of rusty chrome, theres no such thing as a free bike.

Step 1 Strip the frames... I started "Airplane Remover" it worked as advertised as there are now no airplanes in my backyard. But there was still a lot of paint left on the frames after 3 applications.
f40a0e68294a1f5b31b03db08bcda5ab.jpg

The Murray had factory paint the Huffy had 3-4 colors on top of the factory metallic red. to get down to the base metal I had to finish stripping both with a wire wheel.
78395ec71bbdd70f6a29293288a127b3.jpg

AWSOME BIKE WORK STATION. I HAVE A LOT OF PALLETS THAT I USE IN THE WINTER FOR FIREWOOD STORAGE. IN THE SUMMER THY ARE STACKED AGAINST MY DOG RUN. I AM GOING TO BUILD A PAINT STATION WITH THEM. I AM GOING TO STEAL YOUIR CONCEPT. THANKS

Back