Enlighten me a little please!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to figure out how to achieve this look. Is it my understanding that these are 24 inch rims? What might the size of the tires be?

shiny_petrohead.jpg

Thanks for helping me as this is the direction of my next build.

Those tires are Schwalbe Fat Franks and are only available in 26" and 28" sizes. Those look like 26" tires to me.

yea typically the 24x3 tires will fit many more frames but obviously then you need 24 inch wheels. the larger 26 inch tires are more trouble some to fit for sure

To answer your original question, the tires on the bike are Schwalbe Fat Franks. They are a 26 x 2.35 tire. If you wanted to run 24" wheels then the tires on the second bike are Felt Thick Bricks, they 24 x 3. Felt also makes a 26 x 2.125 version called the Quick Brick. Some guys have also run a front/rear combo of Quick/Thick.
Personally, I'm running a set of the Schwalbe tires in brown on one of my bikes, the quality is outstanding. They're the 'Michelin' of bike tires.

Hope this answers your question.

Cheers!
Dr. T

Dr. Tankenstein said:
To answer your original question, the tires on the bike are Schwalbe Fat Franks. They are a 26 x 2.35 tire. If you wanted to run 24" wheels then the tires on the second bike are Felt Thick Bricks, they 24 x 3. Felt also makes a 26 x 2.125 version called the Quick Brick. Some guys have also run a front/rear combo of Quick/Thick.
Personally, I'm running a set of the Schwalbe tires in brown on one of my bikes, the quality is outstanding. They're the 'Michelin' of bike tires.

Hope this answers your question.

Cheers!
Dr. T

Yes, this is very helpful. I guess better questions would be.
If I want to put these big fat tires on a bike, can I use the existing wheels that otherwise go with the bike?
What complications will I face?
Will using 24 inch rims with big fat tires look funny on a frame that was otherwise using 26 inch rims?

Thanks guys!

55ColumbiaBuilt said:
Yes, this is very helpful. I guess better questions would be.
If I want to put these big fat tires on a bike, can I use the existing wheels that otherwise go with the bike?
What complications will I face?
Will using 24 inch rims with big fat tires look funny on a frame that was otherwise using 26 inch rims?

Thanks guys!

Usually putting 24's on a bike designed for 26's won't look funny, especially when you use the big fat tires. If you're shooting for the look of that bike you showed above I would use the 26" Fat Frank tires with your existing rims.

The example bike is designed for 24 inch wheels with fender clearance. Putting 26 inch wheels on it is works if you never want fenders.
The only problem is that you raised the bottom bracket about an inch (even more with the fat tires), raising the top tube and the center of gravity.
This is a bigger problem going the other way putting 24's on a 26 inch frame. Lowering the bottom bracket can cause some crank clearance issues while riding.
Using the fat tires brings this back up some. Try to avoid unsightly overly large tire and frame clearances.

Back