Elgin parts search. Need help.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got this frame and fork delivered today and I want start looking for parts. I can only find one grainy picture for reference (bottom pic). If anyone has pictures of a complete bike I would really appreciate it if you could post them. I'm not sure the chain guard and truss bracket that came with it are correct. He sent me a pre-war kickstand (dated 1937) but, it clearly does not belong to the bike. Here are the pictures I have. The tank was also being auctioned at the same time but, I did not win :roll: . Thanks for any of your help.
Elginframe.jpg

BQKZhQgBWkKGrHgoH-CEEjlLl0F63BJ3Jg8.jpg

BQKZkcgWkKGrHgoH-EQEjlLluvvMBJ3J566.jpg

1940Elgindeluxe.jpg

BankerRAt said:
Chain guard looks to be from a girls elgin. Does it have any pre-drilled holes that might have been for a skirtguard attachement?
It does have a hole in the top of the chain gaurd that I was wondering what it was for. Perhaps it is where the skirt guard mounted. Thanks for the pics Sensor.

Some Elgin's were also branded Mercury, I was trying to buy a similar Elgin to what you bought and I did some research and it turned out to be a an Elgin 5 Star.

Mine is basically just like the maroon one.

ElginRust1.jpg

ElginRust2.jpg

ElginRust3.jpg

yeshoney said:
Mine is basically just like the maroon one.

ElginRust1.jpg

ElginRust2.jpg

ElginRust3.jpg
Ahh...yes that has the same tank and truss rods. Thanks, now I know exactly what to look for at the Saline show on Sun. Did these bikes have the finned/cooled hubs? Is the truss rod all one piece or two separate rods?

Truss rods are one piece very similar to the JC Higgins style. I can't say for sure what years had which hubs as I have seen both finned hubs with an Elgin brake arm and with a Higgins brake arm. Mine has a Standard ND Model D.

Ahh...yes that has the same tank and truss rods. Thanks, now I know exactly what to look for at the Saline show on Sun. Did these bikes have the finned/cooled hubs? Is the truss rod all one piece or two separate rods?

This style frame was built by Murray, and appeared in the 1941 and 42 Sears catalogs. They were also sold under the Mercury badge. The style is similar to the earlier Oriole/Robin/Bluebird frames, which were built by Westfield. Well, except for very few, such as mine:
SUNP0021.jpg
SUNP0020.jpg
The bikes in the catalog either have the zeppelin shaped one like the brown bike above, a very thin and simple guard, and in 42, the CWC-looking one shown on the red & tan bike. Interesting note, that 41 showed a shift in Elgins from Westfield to Murray, who built most JC Higgins bikes also. ~Adam

Back