Elgin Help needed in a bad way

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey every one it has been a wile since my last vist and I missed this jointso here goes the story.Well I am kind of stoked last night I picked up this little gem but the problem is this I know nothing about Elgin bikes all I know about this one is it has wood rims and looks like a boardwalk racer (I think that's what they are called) any way any info would be great here are some pics. of her
Elgin001.jpg

Elgin004.jpg

Elgin003.jpg

Elgin002.jpg

Elgin005.jpg

Elgin007.jpg

the front rim looks alot better looks green with pin stripes
Elgin006.jpg

Nice score. I've never seen tires like that, some kind of vintage singletube alternative?

looks like someone made their own rear brake arm for the New Departure Model A rear hub? The hub was probably nickel plated. clean it carefully and you might get some lustre back.

The gears look great, probably a low mileage bike.

Walker said:
Nice score. I've never seen tires like that, some kind of vintage singletube alternative?

looks like someone made their own rear brake arm for the New Departure Model A rear hub? The hub was probably nickel plated. clean it carefully and you might get some lustre back.

The gears look great, probably a low mileage bike.
thanks walker any idea on the age ? or ideas on a simple cleaning ? the tires are solid rubber rubber the guy I picked it up from said his brother put them on witch is good they seem to have saved the rims

I have no idea how to help you pin down the year. Your bike is very similar to my Cadillac build, my bottom bracket was stamped with only the # "4".

Same wheels, frame, fork as mine, different cranks & ring, stem, handlebars. This was a pretty popular frame design back in the day...

Those bars are awesome, just need some coke bottle grips for them.

Thanks for the good words guys I have been all over the net today and cant find anything on this bike dam old bikes are tuff to look up any info on

Can't help you with a year or any more info on the model

But if it was my Sweet Elgin I would clear coat the frame and fenders put a set of new 700 rims and tires on

maybe with the hubs it came with or maybe with a seven speed Nexus with coaster brake and skiptooth cog.

And ride the snot out of it! :mrgreen:

Great find! keep us updated

Skipton said:
Can't help you with a year or any more info on the model

But if it was my Sweet Elgin I would clear coat the frame and fenders put a set of new 700 rims and tires on

maybe with the hubs it came with or maybe with a seven speed Nexus with coaster brake and skiptooth cog.

And ride the snot out of it! :mrgreen:

Great find! keep us updated
clear coat now thats a idea :wink:

Great find, that`s a neat bike. Doesn`t have anything to do with "boardtrack" though. Will be a super cool ride, Congrats!

Not an expert by any means but all the looking at Elgins I've done, 28 inch wood rims puts it probably mid to late 20s I'd think no later than early 30s, pretty sure Elgin went to a 26 inch motobike from mid-30s on.

socal_jack said:
Not an expert by any means but all the looking at Elgins I've done, 28 inch wood rims puts it probably mid to late 20s I'd think no later than early 30s, pretty sure Elgin went to a 26 inch motobike from mid-30s on.
thanks

That chainring looks even earlier, teens or earlier maybe but can't pin it down. May or may not be original to the bike.

I agree that it is pretty early, pre '33 for sure.

The best bet to date this is to check The Cabe I think. The guys there are both very knowledgable and helpful.

Not that folks here aren't. :wink:

Good luck and a very nice find.

bruce said:
I agree that it is pretty early, pre '33 for sure.

The best bet to date this is to check The Cabe I think. The guys there are both very knowledgable and helpful.

Not that folks here aren't. :wink:

Good luck and a very nice find.
just singed up there thanks for the lead

nice score! just ball park but its going to be later teens-mid 20s they changed the frame style to the kind i have about then(you can see it in the skip-links clickable in my sig).
the tires are wheel chair tires(ive heard they could possibly be used but never seen anyone with any until this...you can get repop tires for the wheels(i have some on my 28 elgin) but they are kind of pricey. if you need links for that let me know and ill give them to you. as for the model...they really didnt have to many at that point...its a moto-bike :wink:
great score clean,lube, and ride that sucker! ohhh and dont be afraid of wood wheels....i have some on mine and theyve been ridden on for quite awhile with no issues.
looking forward to seeing what you do with it :mrgreen:

Back