Elgin Cl Score

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty happy about this one. Found it on cl last night around 10, went this morn to pick it up at 730am. The guy told me he got it from the original owner. Came with the chain, I just took it off to clean. Bike is og, down to the tires :shock:
elgin-1.jpg

Nice bike. I have a girls Elgin a lot like that one, mine is a 1941 and has a leather license plate on it.

I suspected this one was late 30's. The seller said the orig owner said 1938. Any idea of the year of this bike?

I'd venture to guess the original owner could actually be correct. I'd say '38 or '39 would be very likely. I love when that color combination turns up. Cream and brown are right up my alley.

I had my eye on that one for a couple of days... In Agawam right? I bought to many in the past couple of weeks though. He had it listed as make an offer and then relisted for $250. What di you pay for it if you don't mind me asking.

I tried to pay 229 because that was all i had on me, but i ended up paying 250 haha When i saw the condition of the bike i knew i did not have much bargaining power.
If anyone has a elgin serial number list let me know, I have a boys bike I am trying to date as well.

Ive got a very similar one for my girlfriend. the only thing heavier than it was my cycle truck. if its flat and theres a nice tailwind shes not pissed

dos cruiser said:
Nice bike. I have a girls Elgin a lot like that one, mine is a 1941 and has a leather license plate on it.

We gotta see pics of the plate!

Nice score on the Elgin!

38 sounds about right. It's a Westfield (Columbia) built bike, which should have their serial number. a 38 serial would start with C. I have a very similar one, but it has the Collegiate badge, briefly a sub line to the Elgins. The Elgin tank was a matching paint ebay find! -Adam
adamtinkererscollection2001.jpg

This bike was bought from the Muscle Bike museum a couple of years ago. I believe the price was just about the same - $250. I had a chance to grab it back then, but at $250 even if I parted it out, there was nothing left in it.

Joe

yeshoney said:
This bike was bought from the Muscle Bike museum a couple of years ago. I believe the price was just about the same - $250. I had a chance to grab it back then, but at $250 even if I parted it out, there was nothing left in it.

Care to elaborate on the history of the bike. I got a way different story from the dude I bought it from.
i am keeping it for my girl to ride, but i think if i parted it at 250 there would be an easy 100 in it.

Pavement said:
yeshoney said:

Care to elaborate on the history of the bike. I got a way different story from the dude I bought it from.
i am keeping it for my girl to ride, but i think if i parted it at 250 there would be an easy 100 in it.

Ya I don't think that's the same bike. The individual who sold it to Pavement contacted me late last week immediately after he had acquired it. He was not soliciting me for a sale, rather, to seek guidance on how to clean it up and establish a value on the bike so that he could resell it. I have the before photos showing exactly how it came out of the original owner's basement.

Well, I can't get the pictures from the NEMBM website because the site has been sold and the archive pictures of bikes for sale is gone too. In any case, if the two bikes are indeed different it is a coincidence beyond belief that the two bikes look exactly the same and were located a mere stones throw from each other. Beyond that it is a nice bike and in todays bike climate it is agetting harder to find complete examples of girls bikes so it has good value. Back when I had the chance to buy it girls bikes were lucky to get sold at 50 - 75 even complete balloon bikes!

joe

Oh man, the plot thickens. Tailwinds, just curious how you know the seller, since it seems like you live in St. Louis. Also I would love it if you would post or email me the original pics.
$50-$75 :shock: I have always loved the look of this bike and since it is so original I feel lucky to have it.

Latest posts

Back