electric wheel kit

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CCR

Mouth-Breather
Reaction score
anybody know anything about em, may need to make an early 1900s style bicycle/motorcycle for a play, and i think it would probly be best if it was electric with a "prop" engine so it wouldnt be loud / smell / hard to "act" on too.

Like This ?
IMG_3942.jpg

IMG_3941.jpg

actually i was thinking of the electric hub motors, basically they look like a front drum brake hub, but then you gotta hide the batteries and controller somewhere else on the bike.

kind of want it to look like a motorcycle as much as possible.

saw batteries hidden in a fork somewhere. It was for a hub like that..One of those DYI site....

i figured the battery / controller could be hidden in a tank or saddlebags. i read the 24v kits go like 15mph tops, and the 36v goes more like 25 mph tops,

just wondering if they take off quick ?
slow ?
do you have to pedal from take off ?
cheaper ways / sources to get a kit ?
waist of time?
complete junk ?
dont bother ?

... that sorta stuff :mrgreen:

There are a lot of "ebikes" with pedal assist units around, I would imagine there have to be kits around also, maybe you could find an older model that was a little bit cheaper for your purposes, the new ones are probably pricey.

The other idea might be to use a single phase 110v AC motor out of an appliance and get a big power inverter and motorcycle/lawn tractor battery. The big inverters are usually around $200 alone though and who knows if that would actually work??

i have one of the ev global e-bikes designed by lee iacocca, and it's pulsed dc power. the controller pulses the voltage to limit the current. it makes the bike take off smoother, instead of spinning out. electric motors have instant torque and need an artificial "power curve". the ac motor idea has been tried, but without some sort of controller you have problems, and an ac controller is way more complicated. i would do the front hub motor thing, and hide the battery inside some sort of fake engine, like they did with the occ stingray electric, or the razor set up.

I'm wondering if you could take a DC permanent magnet motor with a deep cycle battery driving through a rear derailer? Seems being able to change drive ratio's would make the voltage regulation less difficult. Maybe do the primary drive through a front freewheel system. Just a thought?

Guy (60yrs. old) at a local gas station purchased one. Put it on a new Schwinn cruiser. NEVER worked on a bike before, knew NOTHING about bikes, and he did it all by himself. Was he proud! He loves it, uses it everyday. If you saw the bike you would never know it was "powered". Battery pack is in a nylon carrying case on the rear rack. Performance, he says he can go 25mph. Also says he can take off without pedaling (uses up battery quicker)...............I want one!...Oh yeah! He said he paid a little over $400 for it.

yup those are the prices im seein too, honestly the electric hub/wheel would probably get used for the play and then taken off the bike after its no longer needed... either end up getting sold or kept around for another project maybe.

basically i just didnt know if they were slug-like in take off, unassisted. and if anyone has a cheap(er) source for one, i wont have time (or the know how) to make an electric motor on my own, so the hub motor is the best thing on the drawing board at the moment.

Latest posts

Back