electra whith retro-direct drive

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello from Germany again!

it all started with this electra frame kit
some fenders and a Huge basket for the back

it got Powder coated in ral 6011 reseda-green

and standing:

I heard of the "retrodirekt"-drive - it was invented in 18dontknowwhat and some bikes in the 1920th had it.
it works like this: if you are pedaling backwarts you get on a bigger sprocket and if you pedal forward you got the fastsprocket---
here is a Picture of it (but the other way round)you need 2 freewheels

here ist a picture of the 2 Freewheels

and the chaintensioner:
and now the Vid , how it works...

View My Video

not ready but nearly( the handlebar ist not the right one)

and now the Vid whith the right moonbar!
It works!!
View My Video
better pictures will be made, when its ready!

A new sprocket for the bike-was the word "sprocket" wrong for the Rear freewheel or ist it the same ?- and what do you think about the shape of the seat, not the colour!
better or worse?

I understand exactly how it works, and I love how simple it is to have two speeds. But where can you get one of these hubs?

The inboard (large) freewheel must be an odd size piece?

Who makes this? Where can I get one?

--Rob

Its a very simple hub- like this one:
http://cgi.ebay.de/SACHS-NABE-Hinterrad ... 5d2992343e

the bigger sprocket I got from a Moped shop- my is a 25 tooth one ,it has to fit on the Hub-its the same size BMX Hubs have for the sprocket- but I had to cut the Sprocket a little more slim, because it works better whith a slim chain for 6-7speed
and you need a BSA leftside thread like this:
http://cgi.ebay.de/BSA-Lagerschale-link ... 3f008f49e8
this is to make the thread on the Hub longer:
1 you screw the Bigger sprocket on the hub
2 take the BSA thread and screw it in the rest of the sprocket-thread
then screw the small sprocket on the bsa thread
ready
:mrgreen:

this is a picture of my first try,i weldet a thinner sprocket on the thick sprocket( but this did not work because of the heat,it sounded awfull afterwards):

/img/retrodirecteinzelteilei12t.jpg[/img][/url]
this is the Hub:

ahhh I found this side-- there it is shown in better englisch:
http://members.westnet.com.au/rjharrop/ ... irect2.htm

very nice man! excellent job! a very very very nice paint! the color is amazin, i didnt see before! cheers!

Thank you for the information about the hub, Schrammi!

As soon as I build one, I will have pictures up. And tomorrow is a day off... there could be mechanical mayhem at my house!

I have some of the pieces I will need, including new hubs to play with. The adapter piece that allows you to fit a second freewheel outboard of the large one, is a bearing cup from a bottom bracket. Makes perfect sense that this piece would use the same thread as the other parts of the drivetrain.

Thank you for the links also. I like the idea one gentleman used with a front derailleur, allowing 2 speeds forward and 2 backpedalling, for 4 gears total. It makes the chain tensioner a little more complicated though.

--Rob

Hi scrammi, thats awsome, i NEED to build one :) , tell me, is it a problem to switch so you have the larger freewheel on the outside, that way, you start the bike pedaling backwards, and then pedal forwards when youre at speed ??

regards
Flemming

You dont have to switch the wheels....
I made the drivtrain exactly that way :the bigger freewheel is the one to go backwarts
and sthe small one ist for pedaling forwarts.so you start with the "mountaingear"backwarts and pedal forwart if you got the right speed
but you can switch it just like you want it...

Thats awesome. And just plain gorgeous... 8)

Back