Electra Sparker 3i to 8i?? Possible??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone of you knowledgeable people done it or know its possible?

I have a 3-speed Sparker (2007 model) and I want to fit an 8 speed Inter-8. Found a guy selling the full kit (Inter-8 coaster, cable, shifter, etc...) but he seems to think its not compatible.

Thanks a million

Tony

Trying to find out the number of holes. The thing is I think the flange with the holes is a larger diameter so I would need shorter spokes and I was told the OLD (Over locknut Dimension) is wider (132 vs 127mm) so I dont know if the hub will fit. :cry:

Ok big problem.

The Nexus 8 speed is 132mm wide (Over Locknut Dimension) and the rear frame spacing on the Sparker is 120mm.

Technical Support at Electra is saying it will fit :shock: :? ... maybe later Sparkers or Ratfinks are wider at the rear?

Yes, I've read that :cry:

Alloy frame stretching is setting myself up for some nice fatigue cracking/failure!!! ....!!!

I installed an Inter 7 on both my Rat Fink, and on my wife's Super Deluxe (both are aluminum). Both are spaced for Inter 3's (120mm), and the 7 is 130mm. I didn't permanently widen the dropout spacing, I simply "flex" the rear stays apart when mounting the wheel. If I pull the wheel off, the dropouts will snap back to their original spacing.

Aluminum has no "fatigue limit", so cold bending it will cause damage, but aluminum can also flex some before it reaches the point of bending. Just think how much the wings of an airplane will flex in flight, and they will last many, many years.

The purists will say "don't do it", but in the real world, I'm not worried about it and I feel my Rat Fink's frame will last my life time with the rear stays flexed (not bent) outward by a mere 5mm per side. Yours will be 6mm per side, depending on the "actual" spacing on your frame. It will just be a tiny bit of extra effort then removing or reinstalling your wheel, but you'll see it doesn't take much force at all to flex the stays wide enough to get the wheel on. Why don't you pop your wheel of and measure the spacing on your frame. You might find they naturally sit a little farther apart then 120. I was just doing some work on my 3i Townie, and while I had the back wheel off, I measured the dropout spacing, and it rests at 125mm.

We're talking about "Cruisers", after all, and not fancy ultra light weight thin walled road bikes, or mountain bikes, both of which will see much more frame stresses then our cruisers. Heck, maybe I'm totally wrong, and sometime in the near/far future, our frames will suffer a catastrophic failure, but oh well.....at least until then, both the wife and I will be reaping the benefits of using a 7 over a 3.

i-dqjrzBJ-L.jpg

i-s5r52xn-L.jpg

WOW thanks for that reply.

I gave up on the Sparker 8i idea and ordered a single-speed Basman, an 8-speed from german ebay and was gonna sell the Sparker (impulsive me? never :D :D ). Been trying to get my girlfriend to get an electra and stop riding her unconfortable MTB for the last two year and when I told her I was selling the Sparker, she asked me to drop the seat so she could try it...

To cut a long story short, using the new info, it looks like I'm gonna have to order another 8-speed for her Sparker :p :p :p

Thanks again :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Hey, I'm glad she decided to stick with the Sparker, as they are certainly a nice ride! I'm assuming your Sparker has the 24"x3" rear? If so, and if you install an 8 on it, you may want to consider lacing the wheel with a 2 cross pattern, instead of the typical 3 cross. I used a 3 cross on my RF, and with the larger diameter hub, the angles at the rim junction are greater, I've got some pretty hard bending on some of my spokes, where they exit the nipples.

After some research, it seems many people say the extra angle produced with the 3 cross is no big deal, and won't weaken the spokes enough to be a concern, and others recommend a 2 cross, to lessen the angles, when using the larger diameter geared hubs. I do know that on the late models Schwinn cruisers, that came with Nexus 7's, were laced with 2 cross. I always wondered why they did em that way, and now I know why. I plan to do a 7 on my Hellbilly, and I'll probably try a 2 cross, on that one.

Back