Electra RatRod - Updated w/pics

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started with a '05 Electra RatRod 3i, great bike! Really liked it as it was, a sweet cruiser with a comfy albeit sluggish ride.

4147829239_1bdd1e26b3_o.jpg

Then I found this place 8) !

The Board-Tracker style caught my eye and that's what I decided to go for. I had a nice donor parts bike, mainly for the Shimano Nexus 8 speed internal with roller brake laced to a Mavic 26" rim. I contacted Paul (pvwacko) from Wacko's Garage to see if the 8sp hub would fit the dropouts. The LBS and my own measurements said, "No Dice" but Wacko said "should work"...would it ??? I swapped the stock Rat Rod fork for a Electra springer and then loaded it plus the "donor bike" into the truck and met up with Wacko's Garage.

This is what I came home with...

4190068351_fa348e6e9d_o.jpg

It worked, and fit like a glove! Very close to my vision! I see (feel) the need for a laid-back seatpost, a Brooks saddle and bigger tires! Please don't mind the white twist ties as they are there just to hold the cable(s) mock-up for now.

4190068007_689f4ea68e_o.jpg

4190067899_9130e9819b_o.jpg

A couple stupid things I noticed...
1) I should have lowered the seatpost for the photos
2) I should have removed the stupid reflector off the seatpost

Now I just need to make sure I like the feel of the ride. I'm already scrapin the pedals on a kinda sharp corner, ... skinny tires ..., so maybe some "rounded" like Thick Bricks tires would help get me off the ground a bit, fill out the forks and smooth the ride. With out a doubt I'm in need of a laid back seat post, not much, but an inch or two would help.

If the bike feels comfy for a 10 plus mile ride I think I will strip it down to the frame and powdercoat it into a sweet delicious color combo. :D

Mucho Thank's to Paul from Wacko's Garage for taking the time (he was layin' some custom graphics to a crew rowboat) to help me out...thank you!

And now this...

4314133221_39e527189b_o.jpg

4314133359_6556f50d8a_o.jpg

Re: Electra "EightTrack Rat"

You definitely made it one-of-a-kind now. Looks like it'd be a blast for hill bombing. 8)

Re: Electra "EightTrack Rat"

Holy cow! I never would have envisioned that, but that's frikkin' awesome!

No more "EightTrack"

Here is the latest change in the ever changing Electra. I put the Bullhorn bars back on but flipped and with 4" cut off each end. Put the regular wheels w/ 3speed on and a Thick Brick on the rear and Quick on the front. I found a brown Felt 1903 saddle and some kind of matching grips. My major accomplishment was getting the shifter and cable off the handlebars! That was a breeze with the part from sicnick (Thanks!).

I'm happy with the it looks/rides...for now.

4314133359_6556f50d8a_o.jpg

4314133221_39e527189b_o.jpg

4314132927_c80ecbb256_o.jpg

Very cool....I am a big Electra fan, but the Rat Rod never really got my heart rate up. However, yours is awesome! I never would have pictured one like this. Can we see some pics of your underseat shifter setup? What parts did you need to do it, and where did you get them? Thanks!

nice bike i like it much better with the fatter tires. if i could make a suggestion and feel free to tell me i am full of it. i feel a drop bar bike should have nothing higher than the highest point of the stem. with that said maybe try to find a stem that drops the handlebar lower over the springer. again just my 1/4 cents thought kool bike

karfer67 said:
nice bike i like it much better with the fatter tires. if i could make a suggestion and feel free to tell me i am full of it. i feel a drop bar bike should have nothing higher than the highest point of the stem. with that said maybe try to find a stem that drops the handlebar lower over the springer. again just my 1/4 cents thought kool bike

Thanks! I think the same thing as far as looks go. I'm looking around for a different stem. I think I have a couple of options, just not sure which is the best way. The bike has a 1" Threaded headset and the stems I think would work are 1 1/8". I could get a conversion kit or try and find a good 1" one. I also want to change the chain ring to something less hokey.

Lazy Lightning said:
BarnesTO said:
Can we see some pics of your underseat shifter setup? What parts did you need to do it, and where did you get them? Thanks!

I'll try and get some pics of it for you. In the meantime here is where my search started to come together. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22957

Please do, I'd LOVE to see, and find out where to get the parts!

Back