Electra Cruiser rebuild

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

So today I pick up this Electra Cruiser on good ol' CL. From what I can tell its at least a newer Electra with the pedal forward design, but some of the parts are wrong like the wheels and seat. Its missing the chain guard too. But hey, I got a project and it only cost me $35. She ain't pretty, but shes mine...we'll see how it goes

IMG_5978.jpg

You got a great deal on your Electra, IMO. I'd have snagged that up without a second thought.

What are your plans for it?

I have no idea yet what I'm doing with it just yet. Every time I think I have a color choice....I see something else that might look better. I looking to get a chrome springer and some other parts together before its finished. I should have it painted in the next week. I rebuilt the wheels, which aren't as bad as I thought.
IMG_5989.jpg

Stripped down
IMG_5990.jpg

Just a mock up to see what the wheels and cheapo Kendas look like..the wifey polished the pedals.haha..shes a good helper!
IMG_5991.jpg

Make sure you measure that head tube before buying your springer. You may need to order an additional longer length one, most of the lowrider sites have them up to 9"(some even longer).

I've nver seen on installed and I know others have had issues.

Just a 'heads up'

Cheers,
Dr. T

It looks like the headtube is as long as the one on my OP. The springer wouldn't fit on it, about an inch too small. Be sure and double check.

You guys were definitely right about the head tube TOO LONG for a regular springer steer tube. So I think I will go a different direction for now. I just got back from the LBS and picked up a rear fender that was in the scrap pile, I will get that on later.....But since I see so many creative ideas on here I decided this bike will get a wood tank.....

IMG_6028.jpg

IMG_6031.jpg

Digging the wood tank!
For the springer, I'm a big fan and hope you stay with one.
You could always order one from Electra online (or to save shipping costs, a local Electra dealer, if possible).
Your cruiser has a 'pedal forward' style frame, I think you'll need SKU# 469631

Good luck!
Cheers,
Dr. T

Dr. Tankenstein said:
Digging the wood tank!
For the springer, I'm a big fan and hope you stay with one.
You could always order one from Electra online (or to save shipping costs, a local Electra dealer, if possible).
Your cruiser has a 'pedal forward' style frame, I think you'll need SKU# 469631

Good luck!
Cheers,
Dr. T

I love springers also, but I am going to save that look for another build. I managed to pick up a Phat Cycles chopper fork on the cheap. I didn't notice it until got home that it has an integrated stem which I though was cool. Im picking up some black wheels tuesday, and other odds and ends so hopefully I can get this thing painted soon.

IMG_6033.jpg

IMG_6042.jpg

Sooo.. I got sidelined big time with a gallbladder disease. I finally got that taken care of and really just wanted this bike finished. After going back and forth with the design I decided to keep it simple. I LOVE the way this bike rides, sooo comfortable. The only thing I really did was paint it (Valspar Metal) added chrome wheels with Grand Tycoon ww's and added a 80's Messinger seat. I will be adding stuff later, but here it is rideable...

IMG_6112.jpg

IMG_6115.jpg

IMG_6116.jpg

IMG_6114.jpg

Back