Electra Bike Differences?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about to purchase my first cruiser bike and I have been looking at a few different Men's Electras...

Coaster 3i
Boney Cruiser 3i
Sparker 3i

Brand new I can get the Coaster for $390 or so. The Boney is slightly used for $350 and the Sparker is shy of $500.

Are there any major differences between each of these bikes or is it more just style, color, etc.?

Thanks in advance!

The Sparker and the Coaster are pretty much the same, differences being the Sparker has a fatty rear tire and fender. The frames are very similar. The Boney has the same frame as the Hellbilly and the Ghostrider. The front section of the frame is taller than the Sparker/Coaster.

I bought a Vince 3i this spring. My LBS had a Sparker, a Coaster and a Ghostrider as well, but overall, I thought the Vince was the better overall bike for me.

The componentry of all of the bikes is pretty much the same, so I'd say no matter which one you choose, you'll love it. The Nexus 3 speed is buttery smooth and despite being incredibly light, my bike is built like a tank.

My Vince is one of the most amazing bikes I've ever ridden and the style just can't be beat. I highly recommend any of the Electras.

I also bought an Electra Vince a few months ago and it's really sweet!
Just an FYI that Sports Chalet carries Electra products and has a sale on the Flying Sue 3i and Punk 3i. They are $299 each, and you can get an additional 15% discount if you're approved for a Sports Chalet Visa. Both bikes have tanks, but the Punk is kinda cheesy looking. It's a great deal if you can find one of the last Flying Sue's!
They are also willing to ship it from one store to another.

The Sparker and Coaster use the same frame geometries, and will ride the same. The Boney's crank is farther forward, and the front of the bike appears taller, which will rotate your riding position closer to a semi-recumbent (more laid back), then the other two bikes. Plus, with the crank farther forard, your "proper" seat height will be a little lower, then the other 2 bikes. Pick the Boney if you want something with MORE a different feel then your typical cruisers. If you can, test ride a Boney, or one similar, and see how you feel on it.

If I was choosing, I'd go Boney, only because I recently bought a Rat Fink (even more laid back), and I absolutely love riding it. Plus, I think the Boney looks cooler the the other two. I decided to get a fink after trying out my friends Straight 8 (similar to Boney), and I instantly understood, and appreciated the benefits of these laid back geometry bikes.

McKinneyMagnum said:
Thanks for the feedback and suggestions!!

There is one more important consideration. I'm assuming the used Boney you are referring to is great condition, and a current style (not sure if electra had earlier variations of the Boney model). If that's the case, 350 sounds like an attractive price, considering what a new one lists for. Even finding one on the used market is tough. If you bought the Boney at 350, and grew tired of it 6 months down the line, you can probably sell it for what you paid, or maybe a hair more. If you bought either of the other two bikes at new price, and decided to sell them 6 months down the line, you would loose a good chunk of your investment.

I always buy with the expectation of possibly having to resell. It's a good way to try something out, for awhile, without spending lots of money. The Boney would be a no brainer, for me :D

In any case, let us know what you end up with.

The only thing I'm not sure of with the Boney is the color scheme (orange and creme color)...I kinda like the grey/silver metallic Coaster 3i I saw last weekend.

McKinneyMagnum said:
The only thing I'm not sure of with the Boney is the color scheme (orange and creme color)...I kinda like the grey/silver metallic Coaster 3i I saw last weekend.

Have you seen the Boney in person, yet?

McKinneyMagnum said:
Nope...just a stock photo on craigslist

I guess you would have to go see it in person (if still available), and get a better feel for the overall look. Bikes always seem to look different in real life. Sometimes worse, sometimes better.

I do like the look of the silver Coasters. The stock photos don't do it justice, so I searched for an actual photo of a silver coaster, and it looks quite nice!

Update...I picked up the Electra Coaster 3i today on the way home from work. Pics posted in the Gallery area of the forum.

Back