Eds finds

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came across this 26 inch men's Coast King El Camino hanging from a friend's tool shed wall. He found it this spring rotting out in a grove on his property and zip tied it together and hung it up in a dark corner in the back of his tool shed. It's In pretty tough shape. Bent sprocket, missing handlebar and chaingard. Tire's are original coast king branded tires but obviously shot. Frame and forks look to be straight if rusty. Not sure what I'll do with it yet.
IMG_20230821_234819638.jpg

IMG_20230821_234853294.jpg
IMG_20230821_234839898.jpg
IMG_20230821_235038197.jpg

Came across this 26 inch men's Coast King El Camino hanging from a friend's tool shed wall. He found it this spring rotting out in a grove on his property and zip tied it together and hung it up in a dark corner in the back of his tool shed. It's In pretty tough shape. Bent sprocket, missing handlebar and chaingard. Tire's are original coast king branded tires but obviously shot. Frame and forks look to be straight if rusty. Not sure what I'll do with it yet.
View attachment 246228
View attachment 246229View attachment 246230View attachment 246231
Oh so much I could do with that

Made by Huffy. The chain ring can be bent back fairly easily. I take them off and flatten them on the workbench. Then back on the bike, spin them to make little adjustments with a mallet like truing a wheel.

Huffy had so many different models of bikes.

The 2 Hiawatha bikes are in great condition. One of the tires split across the tread on the factory seam. Other then that they just need to be lubed and cleaned.
IMG_20230914_171450401.jpg

IMG_20230914_171228326.jpg

The rawhide needs tires and has a bit of rust I'll clean off it.
IMG_20230914_183656857.jpg

The Huffy Independence 10 speed has more issues then it's worth addressing, so it'll be in the scrap pile for parts.

Someone left this bike on my door step with a note that said. " Cleaning the garage and thought you might want this to fix up or use for parts". Didn't sign a name, so no idea who left it. I've never heard of an "Open Road" bike before. Says it was distributed by Montgomery Wards. Cute little bike.
IMG_20230916_122008847.jpg
IMG_20230916_121929520.jpg
IMG_20230916_121949493.jpg

Got to work today at a gas station/convenience store and it was kinda slow so I decided to organize the small bulletin board for towns people to post whatever and way in the bottom corner covered by a big land auction notice was an ad that just said. "Aluminum mountain bike, needs work. $20". And a phone number. I called and let them know I'd like to take a look when I'm done at work. 6 hours later I'm carrying this over one shoulder while riding my daily home. I don't know a lot about mountain bikes, but at that price they were basically forcing me to buy it. No seat or post, snapped rear derailleur cable and the gater skins tires are shot. I have the wheels out in the shed.
IMG_20230917_223617248.jpg
IMG_20230917_223656059.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Same here.
I know enough to know that a Marin for $20 is a mega score. Good stuff
Thanks, that was exactly what I was thinking when I seen what it was. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it yet, It's too small for me. It's a 17.5" frame so I'm about 6-8" to tall to ride it comfortably and it's a hybrid not a mountain bike and the wheels are 700c there is not a lot of room for a wide MTB tire. I already have a Specialized Sirius Hybrid I've had for year's. So it's going to hang in the rafters for now.

I was given this bike this morning. No head badge and the guy dropping it off has no idea what it is. I like the pinstripes on the rear rack. Looks like the bike was originally maybe a very dark blue or black that faded to a dark blue. Serial number is on the left rear drop out. And is 3•808A 191301
Any help with identification would be welcomed.
IMG_20230930_110656085_HDR~2.jpg
IMG_20230930_110705785_HDR~2.jpg
IMG_20230930_110736952~2.jpg
IMG_20230930_110810313.jpg
IMG_20230930_110913414~2.jpg

Last edited:
That's a Murray made bike, late50's/early 60's. Brand name could have been a few different ones, Western Flyer, Sears or J C Higgins, Hiawatha, etc. Are there any numbers on the BB?

That's a Murray made bike, late50's/early 60's. Brand name could have been a few different ones, Western Flyer, Sears or J C Higgins, Hiawatha, etc. Are there any numbers on the BB?
I didn't see any numbers on the BB, but I just gave it a quick look before I had to scoot off to work. It looks like there is a name on the head and I think with the right light and or angle I may be able to figure it out. Doesn't seem to have any rivets or screw holes for a badge. So I'm thinking glued on or a decal Maybe. I'll check everything over closer when I'm home from work.

Good idea, the namerplates often had different shapes, so that may show what brand.

I didn't see any numbers on the BB, but I just gave it a quick look before I had to scoot off to work. It looks like there is a name on the head and I think with the right light and or angle I may be able to figure it out. Doesn't seem to have any rivets or screw holes for a badge. So I'm thinking glued on or a decal Maybe. I'll check everything over closer when I'm home from work.
Pulled the nut and washers off the axel on the left side and found a WG under it, looks like at least one other number or letter but it's been obscured by the lock washer digging into it. I'm going to try clean it up later this evening. I'm told the WG means it's a Hiawatha Gamble.
IMG_20231001_060641522~2.jpg

I can almost read the lettering on the chain guard. I'm going to play around with the filter's on my cellphone camera and try figure out what it says.
IMG_20231001_051824103.jpg

The paint is a bit more scratched up then I first thought on the ne Corvette, but not horrible. To me anyway it's right in the middle of "re-paint it" and "shine it and leave it". For now I'm going to go with option 2. I can easily change to option 1 where as it would be impossible switching from option 1 back to option 2. It has the wrong wheel on the front from what I can tell from looking online. I have a couple that look very much like the originals but are from late 80's to mid 90's MTB's

So far it's cleaning up pretty nicely. Paint has a few more scratches then I originally thought but not real bad. It has the wrong front wheel it's a drop center and it looks like it's supposed to have flats on it. so I'll be digging through my wheel pile, not sure I have one. I will have newer Steele MTB wheels that will be close so I may go that route. Found a pair of fenders that will work other then the only decent braces I have are chrome and it looks like they didn't have chrome one originaly. I'll post pictures when I'm done cleaning everything.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back