Ed's '41 Elgin DeLuxe (Build Thread)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whew Ed, I actually hate to critique other builders work, glad that I didn't offend you. I'm sure that you will get it sorted out! I had to go back and look at the rear fender braces after Kingfish said he liked them better spaced out. I do still like them close, in that position, it looks like both braces could flow right into the line of the chain stay.

Ed, I actually like the fork dart with the painted tip on the fender. What would it look like if the fork was the color of your center stripe on the fender? Your 'bright green' ...?
Thinking the fork shroud that goes through fender probably ought to be black instead of green.
The actual OG darts on Elgins were a bit more detailed. I'd need to get some stencils cut to duplicate them,

Whew Ed, I actually hate to critique other builders work, glad that I didn't offend you. I'm sure that you will get it sorted out! I had to go back and look at the rear fender braces after Kingfish said he liked them better spaced out. I do still like them close, in that position, it looks like both braces could flow right into the line of the chain stay.
I rather like them close together at bottom as well. It does leave a lot of open space that way. I might try adding another one more towards the the mid point of open space with the curve flipped. The fender is out being rolled, so that will have to wait a while.

This is going to be beautiful :thumbsup:.

Rear fender went to be rolled.
d9a9dd24b443e5281a29621a950224d1.jpg

18cc0420d8abc84c73950f3b93b85487.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another balancing act session. Trying to visualize the end result.
2dbe0de3275c66c9d6d0a281939fdac2.jpg

1cfc183767ff1251063d3cbe38274b1a.jpg

Added the adapter cog and chain adjusters.
2eddf53b617c07a012bdf122402f9a40.jpg

and I thought I was gonna be the only one with curved fender braces on an elgin frame :( looks great so far!
I've had the 4 braces for quite a few years, taken them to swap meets several times to trade or sell with no takers. I'd forgotten I had them.
After seeing you post your Roadmasters I remembered having these stashed away. Thanks for the idea! Mine are repops, yours are probably original.

and I thought I was gonna be the only one with curved fender braces on an elgin frame :( looks great so far!
I don't think there will be many 'only ones' in any category this year. So many like frames, forks, TRM tanks, tire combos, etc.....Unique.?...don't we wish!

I don't think there will be many 'only ones' in any category this year. So many like frames, forks, TRM tanks, tire combos, etc.....Unique.?...don't we wish!
Unique? Unique is more than its cracked up to be. I've built four "unique" bikes in the last four build offs. They involved a ton of work and included some unique features. Unique doesn't seem to attract votes. Ed's Elgin will be another unique bike in its own way as will a lot of other bikes...I guess some will have more eye appeal.

Unique? Unique is more than its cracked up to be. I've built four "unique" bikes in the last four build offs. They involved a ton of work and included some unique features. Unique doesn't seem to attract votes. Ed's Elgin will be another unique bike in its own way as will a lot of other bikes...I guess some will have more eye appeal.
Ed, I've only been actively building for a year now. So I don't have nearly as much history as you do with these build offs. However, I have built 6 bikes in the past 12 months, and I would dare say that 4 of them are very 'unique'. Features that the others did not have; something that set them apart from the others. My main point in the above quote was to the effect that with so many similar or like starting points, it will be harder to differentiate between builds and find those dis-similarities. If someone finds our 'dis-similarities' attractive or not, well, that's totally up to them; to your point made in your response.

I was reminded by more than one new friend on this site that, "We build for ourselves, make what makes you happy."

The funny things is, I state this to my fellow musical counterparts nearly every time we take the stage,
"Guys, remember, we are playing for ourselves tonight. Let's give it our best, and if it reaches someone else out there, great!"

And, for what it's worth, your Colson Commander was in my top 5 bikes from BO-10.....beautiful craftsmanship, attention to detail, and an awesome setting with that sculpture piece for the final photo!

"Guys, remember, we are playing for ourselves tonight. Let's give it our best, and if it reaches someone else out there, great."
Great idea and mission statement!

Smoothing up frame...tedious tank masking.
f237c2ca8a466ca6ca52af7f78a534b1.jpg

a79560506c8bf39ed4f26f60d224669b.jpg

9a63d773d0323b60af6d3f02096f79f5.jpg

I don't know if the other Elgin frames out there are as roughly finished as this one or not. In the areas where the fender would hide it the weld joints were certainly given a short cut.

Made an offer on a possible Delta fender light for the Elgin. Offer was accepted.
50198c20e40830128609d4518e3a9f69.jpg

c55ba76f9659f02a954877616f4a3d2e.jpg

846bebffff22c27fef803ee6d3a2e434.jpg

Back