Early dating challenge!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
....anyone think they have enough knowledge in early motorcycles to help me date some wheels and tires i just scored today?
Theyre very very old.....ill post pics in a second.

The wheels are extremely heavy clincher type rims, the spokes are very thick and they are much to built to be bicycle unless its very early bicycle. One rim has a flat hoop and the other is raised center. The tires are literally petrified and rock hard but one says Ken Da Rubber Co Ltd and the other says lein shen rubber company both 1 3/4 and 26". Both tires have chinese(im guessing) characters all over em and one has what appears to be a boardtrack type character on it.
The back wheel has a plaque riveted to the inner hub but its been long since worn off.
I know theyre early just would like to track down details:

I'll bet if you cleaned them up you may find some markings on the hub and rim.

Honestly the grease is so thick...its like decades of grease and dirt and old repaints...im scared to ruin any kind of history that might be left.

Update:
Ive been talking to Dale at the wheels through time museum and he has looked over all the pics and feels they are pre-1912 motorcycle. He's still reviewing the pics but ill update as i receive info.

do you happen to have any Solex to show off? parts or the like outside of the wheels? Might aid some clues.

There is nothing else with the wheels just whats in the pictures. Im not banking 100% on the tires in dating these because they could have been changed at some point. Especially since the company that made the tire on the front didnt even open till 1962....but the rims are clearly much older than that...

Plus, every velosolex bike ive looked at all the way back to the first 1946 model, none had clincher type rims. All appear to be regular style rims....

Trust me im a research hound, i love it. I took the solex suggestion and ran with it till it ruled itself out in the details not matching up....they look an awful lot liked pre 1907 Alldays and Royal Enfield type bikes

I can tell you they aren't velosolex. Kenda was established in 1962. Lien Shin was established in 1970. Due to the heavy duty design, rear hub design and dish of the rear wheel I'd say you have the front wheel and one of the rear wheels from a pedicab/cycle rickshaw/heavy duty cargo trike probably of Chinese origin.

I think everyone is going solely on the tires but they very well could have been changed at some point since the wheels are definetly older than 1962....also none of the rickshaw type wheels are clinchers like these.

Looks like a Dunlop(Woods) Valve on the innertube. According to Sheldon Brown, they are mostly seen on British and Asian bikes, but some in Europe too.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunlop_valve

I would guess asian too. Lots of similar characteristics with Chinese/Indian bikes that are still using designs/technology that is over 70 years old. That style rim is popular with rod brakes. The rear hub also would be the style to fit on a utility tricycle as there is no way to attache a cog to it.

Last edited:
That front rim is a Westwood pattern that was introduced in the 1890's and still available new today! They are sold some in the UK but mostly in China and India epecially in the 26 x 1-3/4" size.

The rear rim could either be an Endrick style which is still for sale in India but not usually in the 26 x 1-3/4" size. I did find a reference to a C-Pattern rim in that size on a Dutch antique motorcycle site. http://www.bertpol-vintagemotorcycles.com/Banden en velgen GB.htm

It may help if you were able to remove the tires.

Last edited:
Back