early 70's cloumbia tripper rat

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I got this 1970s Columbia tripper at a Garage sale for $10 last summer. There were a few rust spots here and there but was in fairly good condition.

Code:
Started chopping it up last fall. The top bar is a piece of underground wiring conduit. It's all I had. Added some serious weight to the bike.

Then I took the top and bottom bars welded them together and added some bends to them relocated one of the brackets for the chain guard.

I bought the ape hangers and seat off a scrap truck that came by my job for $10. Great score!

It's been slow at work lately so it gave me some time to get some stuff done. New tires and rims off a bike I found ditched, installed a hand break, built the Springer fork out of an old mountain bike fork, door springs out of a 97 Chevy blazer. It's tough to ride but really turns some heads!

I built a more dated front fork for it. Totally matches the era... might even bring it back a bit. Some bike rescue that got dumped in my friends backyard. The only difference between my first fork and the second is it's 24 inch and the top piece of the fork... whatever you call it, is chrome. It looks awesome! It's got a bit more of a curve on it than the original mountain bike fork i started with so it handles even worse, but i have ridden it about 20 miles in the last few weeks... my butt hurts but i have survived... here is one lame picture with my my lovely lady and dog... I think, from afar, it looks quite nice...

I've cut the sissy bar since this picture. the seat sits another 2 inches lower now and something a little nicer than a shop rag as a back rest than a shop rag for a back rest for those "booze cruises." try to post some new pics soon. I've built four and a half bikes since i first started this first one... this one is still my heart. I don't ever want to be done with it.

A buddy of mine gave me a fender off some old girls bike. Pretty sure it was actually originally pink. I attached it for now with a few coat hangers. I think it brings some color to the bike...

This shows the nice chrome piece i found under the crappy house paint when i stripped it off with a little carb cleaner. When i finally paint this monstrosity this will probably be the only chrome left.

Drilling holes through the new fork that was much thinner than the old mountain bike fork seriously compromised the strength. I welded a few reinforcements to keep me from going over the handlebars on that serious downhill on the way to my friends house.

How everything ties together on the front fork. I hope someone out there likes this build. Its a really fun ride until 3am.. and watching people hop on it for the first time is hilarious!
Paint is coming this winter. I have had way too much fun riding this thing this summer!

Back