Early 50's Columbia Newsboy

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a day. I just picked an early 50's Columbia Newsboy with no dents, dings, or bone-deep rust, just a little (or a lot) of sun damage. The fenders are in great shape but the bike was missing the classic Columbia front fork, so the seller threw in a double springer for a nice low price. It's a piece-by-piece copy of the Cleveland Welding/Hiawatha double springer but it looks like it was on a Huffy BMX bike.
snakecharmer002qi2.jpg

I got the second chain guard from ebay and it was going to go on this bike, but the seller found the original chain guard by the time I came to pick up the frame. I'm sure I'll find something for it.

A close up of the double springer fork. If this did appear on a factory Huffy I'm surprised they didn't get sued for copyright infringement. The broken German Cross head badge will go on another project.
snakecharmer003yd1.jpg

I'm guessing the bike is early 50's because the serial number doesn't quite match up to any of the databases I could find online, but the model looks like it most closely resembles the ones from '49-'52 or so.

What kind of bike is that chain guard that you bought from? It's really incredible

It's either a 30's Schwinn Autocycle guard with a non-factory reflector or just a knock-off altogether, but I got it cheap. Some of the old Shelby Supremes have one like it too but they're just a little different.

Back