E-Rat-Icator- On the move again

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: E-Rat-Icator- Another name change on the board

Bars are out of the paint booth and installed.

2011-05-12122735.jpg

2011-05-12122716.jpg

The retinas in my eyes just got burnt from that green. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

what color of green is that called, and how did u paint them. I wanted to paint my trike that color.

what color of green is that called, and how did u paint them. I wanted to paint my trike that color.

I spent a few hours after work tonight making my grips. I used a thin hemp twine and I am quite happy with the way they came out so far.

I started by drilling a hole in the bars just short of where I wanted the grips to end.
2011-05-13014602.jpg

I fished the twine down to the open end of the bars.
2011-05-13014729.jpg

Next I tied something to the end of the twine to keep it from pulling back out of the hole.
2011-05-13014831.jpg

I pulled the anchor back up to the hole and began wrapping the twine around the bar about 1/4" above the hole.
2011-05-13014948.jpg

Then came the tedious part of wrapping the grips.
2011-05-13015149.jpg

2011-05-13015950.jpg

When I got to the end of the bars I put a few drops of super glue around the end of the bars and wrapped the twine the rest of the way to the end. I took the loose end and tucked it into the bars and used a bar end plug temporarily, it will be replaced by a cork when I get by Lowe's.

2011-05-13014536.jpg

Extra long grips.
2011-05-13014548.jpg

Repeated for the other side and calling it a night.
2011-05-13022605.jpg

Tomorrow I am going to mix up some thin black paint and use it to dye the twine to match the bike.

Nice idea putting the hole in the bars! Are the twine grips comfortable enough for longer rides?

There are extra long grips available called the Suelo Tubo. They are about 2ft long, and cut to size for about $9. I got some in black from Tree Fort Bikes. Just a thought for anyone wanting long grips, but less work. I got mine to cover scratches in a Raleigh Rodeo I'm restoring. The bike was definitely owned by a kid, and there's plenty of damage to the chrome!

http://www.treefortbikes.com/product/33 ... __tubo___0

herr_rudolf said:
Nice!
Is there a particular reason why you used such thin twine? I'll probably used something thicker for a more cusioned ride...
I like the contrast between old style and superbright colors. 8)

I used a thicker twine for the grips on my Orient Express build and the width of the twine was inconsistant- one place would be 1/16" and a few inches further down would be 1/8". I went with the thinner twine for a more even look along the length of the grips.

udallcustombikes said:
I used a thicker twine for the grips on my Orient Express build and the width of the twine was inconsistant- one place would be 1/16" and a few inches further down would be 1/8". I went with the thinner twine for a more even look along the length of the grips.

Ah, very good point.
The bike is going to look awesome!

udallcustombikes said:
herr_rudolf said:
Nice!
Is there a particular reason why you used such thin twine? I'll probably used something thicker for a more cusioned ride...
I like the contrast between old style and superbright colors. 8)

Still not bad though... I like it...

Re: E-Rat-Icator- a Gripping build!

Been busy with life this week and didn't get much time to work on the bike. I did manage to decide on a few of the parts that will find their way on to the bike. I had the front fender from the OCC forks picked already, but I wasn't sure about which one to use on the rear. I thought I would end up going fenderless since I could not find a rear that fit correctly, wasn't beat to death, or didn't look goofy. Then this morning I came across a mint green deep front fender. I test fit it to the rear of the frame and I liked the way it looked. So I gathered my fenders and found the sprocket I wanted to use and took them to work to clean them up in the media blaster since I anticipated a slow night.

2011-05-15121216.jpg

I also found some items I have been trying to track down for my rolling stock. More to come on that part later. :wink:

^^^^^
Old sanded paint pile :wink:

Garage sweepings :lol: :?: :?:

The correct answer is 1 1/4# of overspray from 3 cans of primer, 5 cans of black lacquer and one can of day-glo green. I went down to the cellar to prime my fenders and noticed a green tint to everything. That prompted me to bring my empty shop vac down and clean up all the overspray.

Fenders are primed and ready to be sanded before paint. My decals have been ordered. Stopped by my powder coater on the way to work to check on the progress of my wife's frame. The mirror red he had ordered came in and he got it coated before realizing they had sent candy red marked as mirror red. He had to strip it again and is waiting on the mirror red again.

No big updates to share, life has been crazy this week. My wife graduated with her elementary education degree two years ago and has been trying to find a job since then. She has been struggling to even get interviews the whole time. Finally this week she scored two interviews for middle school english in two different districts. The first she was one of 3 interviewed from a field of 34 applicants and the second she was one of 3 in a field of 64. God willing she will have a job next school year.

The down side to this is that I work second shift, so that means we will only get to see each other on the weekends. We have been able to spend mornings together everyday for eight years so this will be quite a culture shock for us.

Now that I said that, back to the bike. My rim-ception plan will have to be put off for another build due to the need for laser cut parts. Instead I will be going another route with the wheels.

I have been getting the fenders ready to paint as well, but due to a catastrophic computer malfunction ALL of the pictures on my computer disappeared- bikes, family, vacations, all of them. Took the laptop over to a computer guru buddy to try and recover them but they have vanished completely. Ain't technology grand?

Back