dyno rebuild (now with fiberglass tank)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have had this dyno for about 4 years now. and in that time it has many changes. i put the electra rims on it and will put a jocky shifter on it. the rims are not that great. they have sat for a few years, so the checkered rear rim's paint is cracked. the nipples are rusty and the front rim has a very slight bend in it. i had to put smaller crank arms on it to clear. looks great from a few feet away. and i will be getting a tank for it soon from wicked carts. i might paint it red. not sure yet.
dyno5-1.jpg

dyno4-1.jpg

dyno3-1.jpg

dyno2-1.jpg

dyno1-1.jpg

Re: dyno rebuild

I say just freshin it up and Roll that dude! :mrgreen:

WOW! That's a good lookin bike...Stance is perfect. Personally I think it's great that you owned it long enough to re-do it. :wink:

It's definitely a Rat Rod! Way Cool! 8) If I'm not mistaken, the checkers on the rear wheel is a sticker and doesn't take to much effort to get off.

thanks for the knid words. this bike has gone through a few changes in the time i've had it. when i first got it, it had a stock springer with the spring removed for a low look. rode like crap. that was the first thing i changed on the bike. i've gone through 4 sets of rims 3 different handle bars and i don't even know how many seats. here are some pics from over time.
BIKE2.jpg

CHOPPER2.jpg

CHOPPER3.jpg

CHOPPER7.jpg

dyno.jpg

dynobare.jpg

dyno1-1.jpg

i ditched the springer front end. the front tire rubbed real bad when ever i would turn. i put in spacers longer bolts but nothing would stop the rubbing. so i went back to the triple clamp forks. i cut the the fork tubes down a little over 2 inches. that really changed the stance. it leveled the bike out and it turns much sharper now. my neighbor left a cheap mountain bike when he moved. so i took the disc brakes and rim and put it on the dyno. i got the euro adapter for the se racing 175s 3 piece cranks. sandblasted the cranks and sprocket and clear coated them the rear is a 24 3 speed. waiting for the cables and housing and shifter to arrive. i cut some bars in to a few pieces to make a jockey shifter. i have also bought a fiberglass tank that takes a couple of weeks to get, so I'm not going to do all the body work it needs in the front. i just need to fink the right seat for it. i want to go with a bates style solo seat. before i do that i need to barrow some ones seat and see if i could pull it off. i don't want to pay $150 bucks for a seat i may not be able to use. i machined the nos dyno stem to fit more flush with the triple clamp. I'm going to machine some fork tube caps. i got the dyno bars for it not cheap and a dyno santa ana head badge. i can't find a dyno chain guard cheap enough. but i did find a good looking stretched guard for 35 bucks plus shipping. i have spent too much money on this bike so it will be awhile before i buy any thing big.
jd.jpg

gt99.jpg

gt79.jpg

gt77.jpg

gt10.jpg

dj.jpg

3s.jpg

cl-1.jpg

gt5.jpg

the fiberglass tank has to be cut down to fit. i think it was made from a knock off dyno roadster. it is funny how much time and money i put in this bike and you really can't tell. i added disc brakes and got all the stuff to hook up the nexus 3 speed. now it looks a lot like a stock slick daddy with a bad paint job and a tank. now i need to come up with some to do to the rear end. it looks weird with a big tank and no fenders.

Ive discovered that when I have 'too much in ' whatever to really expect to ever recover costs, that I just stop counting (yeah, it sounds simplistic). Its weird, but by 'giving myself permission' to be a little self indulgent it doesnt seem to bother me much any more; ie, it is what it is, cant change the past so make the future!
I like it! Keep on truckin'!

thanks for the kind words. man its been almost a year sense i started rebuilding it. it's more or less just in the mock up stage. the tank is just sitting on the frame. the tank came with no wardwear and does not fit right. so i guess sense i'm going to cut the tank and mold it in the frame i'll do something with the rear end. i was thinking about boxing in the rear of the frame and cut out the seat posat tube. i have seen it done, and looks great with that tube cut off, but i'm not so sure the frame would handle my weight with that support bar gone. maybe boxing it in would make it strong enough.

Back