Dumpster Find Urban Bomber

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this guy hanging half out of the dumpster at a friend's apartment complex.

photo_zpsc57a355d.jpg

I was initially intending on a quick tune and flip but stupid shifter/brake lever combos are shot. Trying to come up with a new plan of attack on this one now.

Re: Giant Sedona ATX.... Dumpster Special

Did you see my KHS find? Whats up with people throwing these nice bikes out? Keep 'em coming! My shifter didn't work well either. Took 'em apart, cleaned and oiled them- Like new.
Johnny

It's amazing what people throw away. You'd thinks folks would at least give their old bikes to charity for possible re-sale in a thrift store.

Or just give it to a person or kid who needs a bike!

Now thats a bit older than the KHS..still a good bike..but the KHS is a great score mid 90s for sure :wink: I find them in our dump all the time..I love silly people.. lol

Nice find, I am amazed at some of the ones I have found in the trash. People are either too lazy to bother with selling them, simply don't have time, or just don't care. When I used to live in an apartment I saw bikes in the dumpster every time someone moved out which was normally 3 times a month. I loved it. I still ride by there every chance I get.

After riding it around for a good bit the past couple days.... I think we're going the urban bomber route with this one. Already abandoned the front derailleur because I abhor the way they look... indexed stem shifter, city tires, side-pull front brakes, and maybe a bare metal paint job are coming soonish.

Sorry for the blurry pics... Here she is with all the garbage removed down to just the front brake. Ground off all the ugly cable bosses/stays as well.

photo_zps54827712.jpg

Shimano coaster hub laced to the rear hoop.

photo_zps69db239c.jpg

Right now its sitting in the garage half to bare metal as I wait for new tires and work on an idea for paint.

Got the frame and fork stripped down today. Three hours, steel brush, wire wheel, and some Citrus stripper has her down to bare metal. The fork already has a coat of primer on but the frame needed some additional smoothing out.

photo_zpsbe69f0d1.jpg

Grinding the cable stays off the top bar left me with some ugliness and a couple dents... being from the school of thought that JB Weld can fix anything... slathered some on there to be sanded smooth tomorrow.

Having a hard time determining what color to go with this one.

I guess its about time to see about getting this thread moved to either the builds or Mountain Bikes forum... wherever it belongs.

Great find! still in good shape
Like your coaster conversion :D
The frame looks awesome, nice job on smoothing out the extras
Like your choice for urban bomber tires :wink:
Can't wait to see how you're going to put all it together

Got some paint put on yesterday... since I'm not looking at riding this thing for another couple weeks because of faulty tires... I'll let it cure for a week or so before I sand, re-coat, and clear. I'd intended for the paint to be a little lighter/brighter than the factory origination... but being colorblind I've managed to almost perfectly match what I'd just removed. Oh well.

IMG_1664_zps7eda3018.jpg

That's a drag about the tire, Arghhh!
I like blue color a lot! New paint and clear, can't beat that

Nice find! I love that sort of thing, and repurposing stuff is right up my alley. Once upon a time almost 20 years ago, someone left a MTB chained outside our apartment door when they moved away, so we finally one day sawed the chain apart, brought it in and gave it a funky paint job. I rode that thing for the next couple of years.

The sliced tire fiasco kinda soured me on this build for a bit... but it's time to get it up, running, and out of the garage to make room for other bikes. Niagara gave me a full refund on the tire but have informed me that they no longer carry the City Slicker line so replacement isn't really an option... The things are around $35-$40 everywhere else on the net and I'm just too cheap for that. As much as I love the white lettering on the tires I'll just have to find something similar and go the mismatched route.

I patched the sliced tire with a piece of old sidewall and some silicone, but while it's held up fine for me so far(about 30 miles of use) I just wouldn't be comfortable selling it like that.

Some current pics:
IMG_1693_zps54389183.jpg

Can you find the slice mark?
IMG_1695_zps76e6d41a.jpg

IMG_1703_zps4aecc262.jpg

IMG_1702_zpsb9d23009.jpg

Here is a shot with the new rear tire. Its a bummer that it doesn't have the matching white lettering but I found this one in a Dicks Sporting goods at half the price it would have been to get a new City Slicker. The tread almost matches perfectly. I really like the look of the 1.9 instead of 1.5 out back.

photo_zps4c918b37.jpg

The coaster is making some chatter so it could probably use a good cleaning and re-greasing. Outside of that and the need for new grips/saddle this thing rides absolutely great.

Glad to see you get it ridable! :D
Sorry about the tire fiasco, glad you saw it through
Hope I didn't steer you wrong about the tires
Thanks for the heads up on NCW, had to check my stock (4 each) :? :lol:
Like the size combo, good mix of ride and roll

Looks like a good "go-to" bike, perfect for putting miles on
Looking forward to seeing your next changes and hearing how it handles

I'd say your right about the hub
Really like the blue, direct sunshine shots would be cool...

MplsCoaster said:
Glad to see you get it ridable! :D
Sorry about the tire fiasco, glad you saw it through
Hope I didn't steer you wrong about the tires
Thanks for the heads up on NCW, had to check my stock (4 each) :? :lol:
Like the size combo, good mix of ride and roll

Looks like a good "go-to" bike, perfect for putting miles on
Looking forward to seeing your next changes and hearing how it handles

I'd say your right about the hub
Really like the blue, direct sunshine shots would be cool...

No worries about the tires... I love the City Slickers. If I'd been able to find them anywhere else at the same price NCW had them for, I'd have bought them again. Here's a pic of it after a good long shakedown ride with the new seat and grips... rides like a dream.

photo_zps2ffd7ef5.jpg

Back