Dude, what do I have? Schwinn content.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, 20 inch cantilever frame. Don't see anything on the left rear drop out, only see something on the head badge. And its a five or six digit number, I cant tell if that's a one on the end or not...

As far as I can tell, its either 64926 or 649261? I'm relatively certain its a schiwinn, a schwinn badge fits perfectly. And it seems to have aged nicely and held up well to the outdoors. So it appears schwinn quality... I just want to know what, stingray? Typhoon? I may need to sand some of the rear drop out away and find out if there's something hiding under the caked on rust. Apparently the 2 rear drop outs spend some time under water. Here's the only pic I have right now, and its just a head tube.

DSCN3708.jpg

Ignore the yellow paint. I snatched that chrome piece from another junk bike.

They started putting the serial numbers on the headtube in the mid 70's

That makes me think, mid to late seventies stingray. Wish there was some original paint... its been blasted and painted silver many years ago.

also, this bike came in the same lot, cant figure out what it is... I want to think its a custom bike. Really awkward size tubes and bends. Looks japan made or custom.

DSCN3713.jpg

A Schwinn should have letters before the numbers. Does it have the smooth welds on the head tube?

Oh yeah, its all brazed and appears to be proper schwinn quality. Of course I've been wrong before...

Making the assumption that you're talking about the second picture (the unknown bike) The first picture is not of the same bike. The first picture is a schwinn frame I am almost certain, and I'll get another picture of it later. I just cant figure out what the ugly second one is.

Nope, the first bike. A pic will prove it's a Schwinn, those numbers on the head tube aren't Schwinn.

Ignore the other parts that were hap-hazardly thrown on right after I picked it up, its just a mock up.

DSCN3717.jpg

Right?
DSCN3718.jpg

I mean I.....
DSCN3719.jpg

It all just seems so schwinn...

Agreed, definitely Schwinn. Chicago made. The head tube looks down to bare metal, so there's no letter's there. If those are the original cranks, there may be a 2 digit date stamp in the middle.

Oddly enough, its all covered in this weird light green paint. Still no numbers to be found on the head tube with a bit of sanding. This may just be my mystery year bike. I got it as bare frame and kick stand. nothing else...

When in doubt, rat it!

Back