DROPPING OUT - (MBBO Class 1) Afterburner X53/254

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you're really onto something there Brian. Great set of shapes complimenting each other nicely. No skulls please.

Cool lines on this one do far brother. What if you slid that tank back into the 'V' of the frame and fill the rest in with a panel? Just brainstorming out loud.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yeah, if that little tank splits in half that'd be cool. You could actually fab the center out of wood or even styrofoam with a fiberglass skin. I do like where you have it tho, the curve matches the top tube well, and IF you cut it in half, then slice off the front bit and trim it in chrome door strip (that plastic stuff supposed to protect it from denting other doors)... instant scoop, a little mesh, a little paint, hmm....I might use a bit of that door trim myself, should be easy to work with.

Carl.

Yeah, if that little tank splits in half that'd be cool. You could actually fab the center out of wood or even styrofoam with a fiberglass skin. I do like where you have it tho, the curve matches the top tube well, and IF you cut it in half, then slice off the front bit and trim it in chrome door strip (that plastic stuff supposed to protect it from denting other doors)... instant scoop, a little mesh, a little paint, hmm....I might use a bit of that door trim myself, should be easy to work with.

Carl.

Your reading my mind on the scoop part on the tank.
Not sure if I would build out the center sections of the X53 or not. I kinda like the idea of just mimicking the intake sections. I could always make the center section with some red plexiglass though. Hmmmmm...

Cool lines on this one do far brother. What if you slid that tank back into the 'V' of the frame and fill the rest in with a panel? Just brainstorming out loud.....
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'll try it out and see how it looks. I really like the air gap though, but you never know till you try an idea out.

you're really onto something there Brian. Great set of shapes complimenting each other nicely. No skulls please.

LOL, you guys really don't like the skull do you?? Don't worry. You know that just because I throw something on for a mock up, doesn't mean it's bolted on. :D
I'm digging the complimenting flows as well so far.

I love the sissy bar in the frame idea. I thought that idea would work on the Mattel Stallion frame to. This is going to be a cool looking ride.

I'm pretty excited about making that sissy bar work too. I hope I can build this out to look half as cool as a full X53.

As always, Kingfish is building something that makes me anticipate his next updated post...:praise:

Thanks buddy! It's hard to believe that I am on page 4 of my thread and I haven't turned a wrench yet. :oops::blush:

Got my Bendix shifter from @Dale Alan today. This thing is in excellent shape! I love the long throw on these tall stickshifts.

I'm still not sure on the tank, so I took shots with and without the tank.
WP_20141009_20_01_21_Pro.jpg
WP_20141009_20_02_11_Pro.jpg
WP_20141009_20_02_23_Pro.jpg

WP_20141009_20_02_46_Pro.jpg

WP_20141009_20_00_07_Pro.jpg

WP_20141009_20_03_17_Pro.jpg

WP_20141009_20_00_20_Pro.jpg
WP_20141009_20_03_44_Pro.jpg

WP_20141009_20_00_34_Pro.jpg
WP_20141009_20_03_28_Pro.jpg

crazy, but what if you flipped the tank over to the underside on the bar then cut the middle away a bit and sink it into the tube?
That is crazy, but I can mentally see what you are suggesting and I think I like it. I'll mock it tomorrow.

Hmmm, hard choice now King!
Not sure if the tank works with the shifter or not...

Luke.

I was thinking the same thing. They compete for the visual space.
Aaron's idea of flipping the tank may help with that.

Good to see that shifter finally found a good home,looks great on there. I can't make up my mind on the tank either,leaning toward No go with the shifter. They are both screaming for attention . Real cool build you have going,I like it.

Since this is a muscle bike build, I can't imagine not using the tall top tube shifter. To me the shifters of the muscle bike days are just as iconic as nanners or apes. It's an easy choice if it comes down to shifter vs tank.

I am excited to try out the idea that Aaron made about flipping the tank and making the jet intakes below the mid tubes.

One concern I had with the tank above the bars was that it would hide the twin bars some. If I can pull off the tank below the bars, I think that the twin bars will actually be highlighted more. This should also allow for a better flow of the bars to the sissy bar.

Back