Drop outs width help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 1981 Schwinn single speed 26" Cruiser. I want to put Sturmey Archer drum brake hubs on it. Are there standard widths for front and rear drop out spacing?

To be sure, measure the frame at the dropouts first, then the hub. If the hub is new, it should list the width. The width is usually measured in millimeters. Your 81 frame should be a Chicago made steel frame, so you can tweak it a little if your hub is fairly close to the dropouts. The experts here can help you with that if need be, or maybe you can order a hub just the right width.
I've seen Schwinn cruisers from that time frame that came with drum brakes, but I'm not sure if those frames were a little different or those hubs back then were a different width.

Yeah, you want to measure the frame, which will probably be 110mm but may be wider, and then tell us which rear drum hub b/c there was a lot of variability in regards to those, depending on manufacturer, model, and configuration. With many, you can respace the hub, which in my view is preferable to spreading or pinching the frame, b/c it is easier to reset to factory, plus it can be done with precision.

Latest posts

Back