Double back wheeled schwinn chopper

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the subject tells what i want to do, does any body have any ideas or suggestions to help me?

Frame.jpg

This is the frame im starting with. and if ant bodys thinking that im doing a three wheeler type deal, no i want both wheels side by side.

They make bolt-on trike kits for beach cruisers. You should be able to adapt one to your chopper, it that is what you want to do.

this wouldnt happen to be matt presley by any chance would it?? :)

wheelbender6 said:
They make bolt-on trike kits for beach cruisers. You should be able to adapt one to your chopper, it that is what you want to do.

No not at all.

well you said you were gonna get another one the other day. widen the back to accommodated 2 then fab you up some axle that connects them both

Cool idea. One or more of the Build Off 6 bikes had double rimmed rears.

Are you talking about joining two wheelsets right next to each other with the cog on the right wheel or are you taling about a trike with two wheelsets with some distance between them and a cog in the middle on a shared axle?

kingfish254 said:
Cool idea. One or more of the Build Off 6 bikes had double rimmed rears.

Are you talking about joining two wheelsets right next to each other with the cog on the right wheel or are you taling about a trike with two wheelsets with some distance between them and a cog in the middle on a shared axle?

Well, I don't want a widened trike. But the idea is to have one axel through both wheels, and I kindov' want to expirment and put a cog on both sides of the wheels. The only thing is that I can't decide to run it on the inside of the wheel or the outside.

Man, I'll be watching this build. Inside sounds very challenging, but WAY cool!!!
Can't wait to see some mock ups!

Why do you want two hubs?

---------

Lacing two rims side-to-side used to be the old way to make a snowbike. You used a normal 26" tire but it ended up spread out about 1.75X as wide as it would be on one rim. This method was easy for everyone to do, as you could still use normal MTB frames and forks.

You got two narrower 26" rims and laced them both to one hub: the spokes on the right hub flange went into the rim on the left, and the spokes on the left hub flange went into the holes on the right rim (each rim only had half its spokes used, though I guess if you used a 72-H hub you could lace them all).

True the wheels evenly, put two innertubes in, and put one tire over both rims. Then put ~5 pumps into one tube, then 5 pumps into the other, and go back-and-forth until the whole tire is at the pressure you want.

This setup was not really strong enough for off-road pounding, but it worked just fine for the endurance riding they did in the Iditabike and similar races. It should work for casual cruising too.

They abandoned this method when somebody started having custom-width rims made that were already 2+ inches wide. Snowcat still sells such rims, that still take regular 26" tires.

do both wheels need to be driven or just one?

i can kinda see how, but it's not my "vision" so the it may not sound right (or work for that matter). maybe cut the rear section off, get another just like it and weld them together. put the wheels on with the freewheels both on the inside. i think the chain will be on the one on the left (as you sit on the bike). then cut the bb out and use a normal width one. hopefully it will line up with the.... no that wont work (i really am typing as i think of this).

ok same set up with two rear sections, only both wheels are on with their freewheels to the right. you might still need a normal bb or maybe not. you just have to see how things line up. extend the frame just enough for a jackshaft and drive them both.

or the first idea might work if a normal width bb is put on in reverse (sprocket on the left). again, you'd have to see how things line up and you'd still just be driving the left wheel.

ok i'm done. out of the blue ideas make my head hurt.

DougC said:
Why do you want two hubs?

---------

Lacing two rims side-to-side used to be the old way to make a snowbike. You used a normal 26" tire but it ended up spread out about 1.75X as wide as it would be on one rim. This method was easy for everyone to do, as you could still use normal MTB frames and forks.

You got two narrower 26" rims and laced them both to one hub: the spokes on the right hub flange went into the rim on the left, and the spokes on the left hub flange went into the holes on the right rim (each rim only had half its spokes used, though I guess if you used a 72-H hub you could lace them all).

True the wheels evenly, put two innertubes in, and put one tire over both rims. Then put ~5 pumps into one tube, then 5 pumps into the other, and go back-and-forth until the whole tire is at the pressure you want.

This setup was not really strong enough for off-road pounding, but it worked just fine for the endurance riding they did in the Iditabike and similar races. It should work for casual cruising too.

They abandoned this method when somebody started having custom-width rims made that were already 2+ inches wide. Snowcat still sells such rims, that still take regular 26" tires.

Well, the main reason i want two hubs is because nobodys really done it before, and me laceing two tires together is like just unrreal to me

Philphine said:
do both wheels need to be driven or just one?

i can kinda see how, but it's not my "vision" so the it may not sound right (or work for that matter). maybe cut the rear section off, get another just like it and weld them together. put the wheels on with the freewheels both on the inside. i think the chain will be on the one on the left (as you sit on the bike). then cut the bb out and use a normal width one. hopefully it will line up with the.... no that wont work (i really am typing as i think of this).

ok same set up with two rear sections, only both wheels are on with their freewheels to the right. you might still need a normal bb or maybe not. you just have to see how things line up. extend the frame just enough for a jackshaft and drive them both.

or the first idea might work if a normal width bb is put on in reverse (sprocket on the left). again, you'd have to see how things line up and you'd still just be driving the left wheel.

ok i'm done. out of the blue ideas make my head hurt.

Im getting the other bike this weekend and its another OCC chopper and the double rear section is what i was thing about, but as far as the double chain drive im going to try to just lazy my way through it and see if i can take the origanil pedal with the cog, and dthe one with a cog from the other bike and see if that would work. but the timing might be off, and there is just sooo many problems that just might rear their heads. im going to attempt to draw a mach-up tonight and put it on here and see what yall think.

Great, a diagram or mock up would help a lot. Each of us probably have 3 or 4 ideas of what you might be thinking of, and every one of us could be wrong. Slap somthing to together so we are all on the same page.

Back