dog days build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100_2399.jpg
[/img] try'n to build a sidecar for my dog :wink: , to take on rides with me , it started as a hanging wicker chair that broke,looked like an egg, and i thought this is too good to throw away, so a plan was born, hoping to have it done this weekend , the hard part is making it removeable :? trying some clip on handlebars off my kids old crotch rocket, mounted to the frame, then pined to the sidecar,........... just ran out of welding wire, so might take longer than i thought, :oops: i'll start on the floor for now

Aha! Another sidecar!

Two comments: 1) If you put the side wheel further to the rear it will turn nicer, I found out that if it is 3 to 4 inches ahead of the rear wheel is best. Maybe a bit more for yours, it is wider than mine. 2) make a third connection on the seat clamp.
And another thing, the rules for motorcycle sidecars just don't apply: Less weight, less horse power, etcetera.

you mean the center of rear axle and the axle of the sidecar should be about 3-4 inches ahead of it ??? thanks for the help , i'm just kinda winging it :lol:

[/img]this is my dog...SHORTY the wonder mutt !!!!! he's vertically challenged :D half lab/ half wienerdog like a low rider ,,, long and low to the ground
100_1618_1.jpg

onetymehero said:
you mean the center of rear axle and the axle of the sidecar should be about 3-4 inches ahead of it ??? thanks for the help , i'm just kinda winging it :lol:

Uhm... yeah.
Attach the wheel whith a vice grip or something to the sidecar frame and make a right turn, standin/walking beside the bike and look/feel if the sidecar wheel starts hopping sideways or goes smoothly, that's what I did. Also, you can test if the bike wants to go straight ahaed when you don't touch the handlebar, maybe you have to turn the sidecar axle a wee bit inward. I did that , 1 degree, the front of the wheel about 1/8" closer to the bike than the center.

Problems I had with my sidecars:
A broken front axle on the small one, was 5/16", is now 3/8 and holding.
A bent fork on the bigger one. The bike is from '58 so I don't know the history of the fork, I put in the reinforced one from my Klunker build-off bike, and it holds.

DSCN1817.jpg

thanks, i love your pics, very cool :D using the biggest, heavy duty bike i have,Chinese schwinn beach cruiser,and gonna put a balloon tire on sidecar that matches the bike 26"x2.50", glad you worked out all the bugs out on yours, and thanks for the help :)

Back