Does anyone farm/garden?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a soon to be geography college grad, and plan to get a bit more deep into this once I have a place of my own/no-one to complain about things aside from landowners. I'm dabbling in hydroponics and looking into sq. foot gardening as well. Does anyone else have a garden and produce their own food? How much of your fruits/veggies come from home as opposed to the store?

I helped my brother with his garden, and things were going well until the deers broke through the wire fence and ate all the tomato, green beans, and eggplants. :cry: It was a pretty good size garden (20' x 40') His neighbor stopped by 2 weeks after the raid and gave us some fresh deer jerky :shock: ....the cycle of life :mrgreen:

my estimate if the deers didn't get it would be 1/4 for the season

I live in the country and we have a garden. The usual stuff...tomatoes, cucumbers, sweet corn, peppers. Put in some rhubarb last year so my mom can make a pie. (yuk, I hate that stuff) I grew some ornamental corn last year for the first time for Halloween decorations. (also called Indian corn)
We eat from our garden in the summer but don't preserve anything. I have an electric fence around my garden to keep out the deer and coons.
I know all the farmers around here and they occasionally call on me to help them at harvest time or in the spring. Drive tractors and till fields (boring!) or drive grain trucks to the elevator. They don't let me do anything important like planting. :) A few weeks ago the neighbors Herefords got out and my Giant Schnauzer and I rounded them up in short order.
The more work you put in your garden the more you will get out of it, both with veggies and with peace of mind. Here's a pic of a fun machine to drive. 425 HP, 14 speed. Good luck! Gary
DSC03701.jpg

yes, but the soil in my yard is very poor and lots of trees, so I don't get a whole lot. I like to try anyway. i enjoy it and it's good exercise.

The greenhouse somehow filled up with bikes over summer ?????? :shock: :shock:

Back