Do you ever slightly freak out when buying expensive stuff?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
An RRB member was cool enough to give me a heads up on this rear 24" slick I've been looking for. So I grabbed it, but I had a slight anxiety attack when paying for it. lol

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
All the time haha!

But, it usually is for something I really want, to finish up a bike, or for the accessories collection or something like that, so I am excited about it too. And then I sell something to make up for it.

That tire is a good buy. Those XKE 990s are tough to find in 20" or 24" slicks, nice grab there. Now you have to find a front!

Oh, yeah, all the time. If it's something I have time to think about before I commit to buying, I'll wake up in the morning thinking "should I really be buying this?"
Then I remind myself that my biggest regrets are the things I didn't buy when I had the chance.

Yeah, that's why I grabbed it when I could. But I blew the last of my money on it. I bought a bunch of Spyder parts I didn't need, so I'm going to have to sell those to bring me back from the abyss.

And Robb, I agree... only if the wife doesn't find out. :thumbsup:

I only freak out when there is no money in my paypal account to buy it. Paying for it later always hurts...lol Most stuff I buy can be resold later for the same price so there isn't any loss to worry about. Some things will make you really wonder what you are doing though. HaHa

Another thing to think about is the value of this stuff is gaining in value faster than if the money just sat in the bank at the current .01% interest... There are always guys out there seeking the same stuff you are, so it would be an easy sell if need be. (Man, I'm good at convincing myself to spend money!)

I just freak out when I add up the entire cost of building a bike.
I try not to add that up until the bike is finished...

Luke.

I know what you mean on adding up the costs. The little parts are what add up fast...That back tire isn't quite as nice as the rest of the bike now, maybe I should get NOS grips, those pedals are more correct....

Next thing you know you have a $700 Lil Tiger ha!

I'm like Klein. I don't want to add it up. I try to think of each individual part as value added to what I need, and I try to work the cheapest parts I can, but I know in the end they will add up.
When I built "Jazzy-Ray" for my friend's daughter (link in my sig) I kept track of the cost. He didn't want to know, and I don't blame him, but in the end he spent a total of $1,100. And that didn't include the $5,000 in labor I charged! (ok, seriously he bought my family dinner at Red Lobster as thanks)
But I haven't tracked my own builds. If Jazzy cost $1,100, then the Monster was more than that!

I've been building and restoring muscle cars for a long time now and they have similar issues but on a much larger scale and I use to keep a running tab but when I would add it up at the end of a build it was to depressing not to mention if my wife would discover my tally sheet so I quit keeping track.

I'm like Klein. I don't want to add it up. I try to think of each individual part as value added to what I need, and I try to work the cheapest parts I can, but I know in the end they will add up.
When I built "Jazzy-Ray" for my friend's daughter (link in my sig) I kept track of the cost. He didn't want to know, and I don't blame him, but in the end he spent a total of $1,100. And that didn't include the $5,000 in labor I charged! (ok, seriously he bought my family dinner at Red Lobster as thanks)
But I haven't tracked my own builds. If Jazzy cost $1,100, then the Monster was more than that!

That makes me feel a little better. My Fastback cost about $1200 (using lots of non-original parts)...;-) The Scrambler clone I'm working on is well over that and climbing. Good news is I've de-valued them tremendously.......but they are fun to ride.

I use different things as justification such as "I've spent more than that on rims for a car" or "it still cost me less than a decent original Krate."

I've been building and restoring muscle cars for a long time now and they have similar issues but on a much larger scale and I use to keep a running tab but when I would add it up at the end of a build it was to depressing not to mention if my wife would discover my tally sheet so I quit keeping track.
I hear you. If my wife ever really knew what I spent bringing this stuff back she'd divorce me. She thinks a "Schwinn" from Target is a fine bike. ugh

I use different things as justification such as "I've spent more than that on rims for a car" or "it still cost me less than a decent original Krate."
Yep, this is my go-to when spending big money on bike parts... $1,000 on a car makes very little difference, but $1,000 on a bike makes for a mighty fine bike! :113:

Luke.

You can't take it with you so you my as well have fun with it. The only time I kind of freaked out when I spent $15K on a bike collection. My wife kept reminding me that I needed to put that money back in our account. It took me a few months but I sold the bikes I did not want and was able to keep all of the parts plus I made a few bucks.

Back