Do I Want a 3sp or 7sp

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been riding my Simple Single for a good while now and love it but am wanitng a multi speed bike now. My question is do I need a 7 speed bike or is 3 speeds enough. I am riding in urban conditions and on bike trails that are paved but do a fair amount of going up and down hills. I have been looking at Cruisers from Giant and Electra but cant make up my mind on how many speeds I need, any input would be appreciated.

Also curious about the pros and cons of maintenance between the internal 3speed or the external 7 speed set up.

I think if you have it geared correctly, ride on relatively flat terrain and just cruise you'd be satisfied with a 3 speed.

When I ride my bikes with 7 speeds I find that I end up sticking in 2 or 3 gears most of the time, but most of my riding is on flat ground.

I guess I'd say go for the 7 speed if you can afford it, never hurts to have extra gears when you need them...especially if you do a lot of hills.

Both are nice hubs and are pretty much maintenance free.

I would go with the 7 speed internal if you can, the derailer style is more likely get damaged.

Like the last poster said, go internally geared if possible, with a nice roller clutch coaster nexus, more gears is always nice.

Thanks for the input guys. Craigslist put an end to my mission to get a bike with multi speeds today. I picked up a Giant Simple 7 with a springer front end on it in decent shape for $50. Going to take a little work to get it all into shape but it rides really nice and I am a happy camper.

Back