DIY full Suspencion Build Need help with pivot point?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Googled forever now. I weigh 240 pounds at 6 foot tall. I am looking at building a full sus motorized. The classic plastic bushing on a walmart bike is way too cheezy.

I really want a needle bearing pivot point for a in frame motor. I wanna build a bike from scratch and have a single two bar A frame pivot right behind the motor. Wuz fishing for Ideas? Thanks!

Not sure if were on the same page or not, but the first thing that comes to my mind is the bearing on the inside of the hub on a Dana front 4x4 axle. its not a wheel bearing, it supports the axleshaft in the hub. many people dont know they are even there until they seize and chew the shaft up. probably a little big(i'd say inch or so inside dia.), just my first thought.
also tryplaces like tractor supply. i'll look through their catalog and see what i kind find.

Thanks for the replies guys. The 4x4 axle are you referring to this?
dana44wheelbearing-hubassemblyexplo.jpg

As for the Skate board bearings I just don't trust 5/16 bolt. Was thinking one pivot spot on about a 5/8 or bigger bolt. I keep looking and eventually post what I find.

Here are some interesting bearings.. http://www.mandmsupplycasters.com/repla ... gs-c-71_72

Hack up a full suspention Mountain Bike for the pivot...Ya may need a chain tensioner.

oops, its not in the hub, but rather inside the spindle. i cant find a diagram to post for you and i dont know how to do that anyway. but i found a pic of the bearing on NAPA ONLINE under spindle bearing for my 92 f150 4x4. hopefully this will be enough to see if it will work for you.

maby u can use some housing bearings? like the kind you would see on some gym equipment.

I forgot to say my thyme is steel without a machine shop [Shooting for needle bearings]. I know getting picky :lol: The build itself is picky. I put bearing housing in my google search and that opened new windows and possibilities. Thanks! Still looking. I would like to find something generic that we could all somewhat easily improvise!!

This project is going to take me awhile to get it all rounded up. I will be making a work log with kewl links etc. :D When the day comes. Every piece to the puzzle needs to be in my lap before I even grab a hack saw lol.

BMX bottom bracket came up some where else. How do I attach my two rear [steel]trailing arms to the square tapered shanks. I keep looking for links to where someone has done it.

I remember seeing these guys in the motorized bicycles website Pipelyne don't think they're around anymore but they had a needle bearing pivot and chrmoly frame. The vid has some somewhat closeup shots, but a workable way of doing it as the chain will need to stay inline with the chainstays to keep things sane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7eR0tcjWt4&feature=fvw

Goat Herder said:
BMX bottom bracket came up some where else. How do I attach my two rear [steel]trailing arms to the square tapered shanks. I keep looking for links to where someone has done it.

If you use a newer style they have round splined ends on the spindle that use pinchbolts to hold the arms on..

Socal_Jack

Yes I am familiar with that bike. Here is my first attempt with one http://motorbicycling.com/f47/morini-ti ... -9048.html While I did a rough go at it for a first try it ran good. I just want a single speed now.

Srumblero

The only two bottom brackets that I know of are square taper and hexagon shaped ends. If I only knew how or where I could find metal ends shaped like aluminum crank arm ends? To weld my steal rear trailing arms to?

Goat Herder said:
Socal_Jack
If I only knew how or where I could find metal ends shaped like aluminum crank arm ends? To weld my steal rear trailing arms to?

steel plate, cut rectangle. cut hole just big enough for the spindle to fit, then cut a notch. drill hole tap and that would work... when written out it sounds like a lot of work.

The trailing arms would have to be a tapered fit. Been holding a Square taper one in my hands for awhile lol.

I have to assume that any of these crank arms regardless of style would always need a puller to remove. Finding a machine shop to do it just upped my bill prolly 300 dunno? Yeah I know getting picky :D However when I stare at it there are some possibility's. Got me thinking!

If I use a heck of a wide bottom bracket maybe I can use the round machined part of the shaft with washers and shims. I am still exploring the Idea of the pivot point supporting a jack shaft inside of it [what I really want]. Kill two birds with one stone so to speak. Then my peddles will be at the pivot point too.

Thanks guys for the ideas. :D

Back